1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

em 1 with 12-50 lens

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by orwell, Nov 2, 2014.

1. orwell

orwell Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 29, 2012
    i normally shoot aircraft, street and B/W still life with a em5 with the 12-50 lens. but its a bit hit and miss with the C/AF when shooting aircraft. so i was wondering what the em1 was like with the 12-50 as the reviews say has better C/AF. i was going buy the 12-40 and 75-300 lens before i upgraded my camera. but im wondering if the better C/AF would serve me better than the lens at the moment.

taken with a em5 and 12-50
    PA150013.

• Like Like x 1
  2. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    From all accounts, yes the AF performance is better on the EM1 than the EM5 and that includes AF-S and AF-C.

The bottom line is this - will getting the EM1 solve a problem for you or is it more about getting the EM1 to have an EM1?
    While i do find the focusing systems on the EM1 and GH4 far better than the other m43 cameras to date, they still are not where some of us need them to be. Is it a possibility for you to rent an EM1 first? I looked at Borrowlenses and LensRentals and they both have an EM1 body rental for up to 7 days for under $100. Not bad if you think about it.

3. zathras

zathras Mu-43 Regular

Jul 13, 2014
    Waikato, New Zealand
    Chris Nielsen
    I have the EM1 & 75-300.haven't had an airshow yet but I am really pleased at the AF. In my tests the AF doesn't initially lock on the odd prop plane which might be something to do with it trying to lock in the prop. But once it locks it's absolutely rock solid. Much better than any of my old Nikons and way better than my old Canons which used to hunt back and forth. Airshow end of this month, keen to try it out in anger. I shifted AF to the back button which seems like a good way to operate at an airshow.

Cheers,

Chris

4. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    I just shot an airshow with my EM1 and the ZD 50-200 SWD and can say that the C/AF did very well. I was really impressed how well the two worked together, I just got the lens and was the first time I used it.

5. zathras

zathras Mu-43 Regular

Jul 13, 2014
    Waikato, New Zealand
    Chris Nielsen
    I also wanted to mention I have a MySet for aviation photo settings which I have loaded on the mode dial under P which is easy to remember. P = Planes. lol.

• Like Like x 1
  6. 350duser

350duser Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 26, 2012
    Brisbane, QLD
    Just out of interest Chris, what are your settings??

TA

7. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    I only use S-AF, the image below was a Blue Angel flying about 250mph from right to left and then a very immediate climb at over 660mph. C-AF would have simply missed the shot all together as the plane changed entire direction and speed in less than 70 feet in about 1/5 of a second.

A034986-X3.

• Like Like x 1
  8. zathras

zathras Mu-43 Regular

Jul 13, 2014
    Waikato, New Zealand
    Chris Nielsen
    As I say, it's been winter here, no airshows locally. So this is simply a result of my tests, take it with a grain of salt I think.

Picture mode = Vivid
    Recording in RAW mode
    S.I.S = mode 1
    AF to 9x9 grid in centre
    Face detect OFF
    C-Af Mode 3 (enables back button focussing)
    C-AF lock High
    Release delay = Short
    Continuous IS = OFF
    EVF Frame rate = High

Record Review = Off
    AF Mode = C-AF (*not* the tracking one)
    Drive = L / 6.5 fps

I have been out testing tonight to see if switching Continous IS = Off helps, have been having terrible trouble getting reliably sharp shots under say 1/1250 and keen to see if it's helped, but Lightroom is sooo slow at building previews I think I'll be here all week waiting for it. I leave IS on even though it's off when shooting as it helps track in the viewfinder. I have to trust them that it is actually turning IS off during continuous shooting as I can't tell by looking at it.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    Will have to disagree with you on that. Now maybe tracking would have but not C-AF as long as you are able to keep the focus point on the plane. I just shot an airshow (thread here https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=70408) and had no problems using C-AF the entire show.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    The only issue I have when I use C-AF (not C-AF tracking) is when a jet pulls a very quick change in direction and speed maneuver such as what I mentioned. Outside of that situation C-AF works well but since I don't know the routines well enough to know when these actions will occur I usually just use S-AF.