EM-1 wi-fi: should I always see the QR code?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Web-Betty, Sep 9, 2015.

1. Web-Betty

Web-Betty Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 16, 2013
    Denver
    MJ
    I have successfully connected my new EM-1 to my iPhone. My question, however, is when I start wi-fi, the EM-1 display continues to show the screen with the QR code. Is this normal?

2. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Yes, that's normal.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    Scott
    Yes. The camera can't know that you don't intend to connect another device.

4. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

If they wanted to they could have a screen saying connected etc., but this is how they are implementing here.

5. Pixelpated

Pixelpated Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 29, 2015
    Midwest
    I wish they would refine this so you don't have to do the QR Code thing more than once per device. In my ideal world, I could save my device(s) settings -- say, tablet and and phone -- and only see the QR code when I want to attach a new device. The kludgy implementation makes me not want to use the Olympus Wifi function.

6. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    Scott
    I think you're missing the process here. If you've already connected your phone to your camera, you only need to turn wifi on on your camera. You don't need to touch the camera again. Then you go to your phone or tablet and, in the Settings, connect to the camera. The camera's display will change to indicate that the phone is then connected.

• Like Like x 1
  7. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    The QR code is always shown when in WiFi mode but you don't have to use it once you have linked the tablet or phone to the camera. Consider the QR code nothing more than a "WiFi Mode" indicator if it makes you feel better. If your tablet or phone doesn't see the camera after the first time you link them together, then that is likely an issue with your phone or tablet setup, not the camera.

8. Pixelpated

Pixelpated Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 29, 2015
    Midwest
    Thank you for the explanation

9. Web-Betty

Web-Betty Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 16, 2013
    Denver
    MJ
    Thank you everyone for the info. It's just a strange screen to keep up. :)