1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

EM-1 versus the Canon 5DIII

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by johnvanr, Oct 8, 2013.

1. johnvanr

johnvanr Mu-43 Regular

Feb 12, 2013
  2. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Curious about your comments re: resolution. Are you talking about the 25% larger linear resolution of the 5D's sensor, or is there more to it?

3. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    This is what I wrote on your blog:

You wrote “the files of the Canon are markedly sharper at 100% on my monitor”.

My feeling has always been that if you have to view at 100% to detect the difference, it is immaterial. People don’t view photographs that way. Regular viewers don’t walk up to a large print and stare at the dots with a magnifying glass, they stand back and take in the entire image. And the larger the print, the farther back they stand.

If you can see the difference in detail in a 20×24 print, or on the full image on a 32″ monitor, from normal viewing distance, then I’ll agree the M1 isn’t quite good enough. But I’ll be very surprised if you can.

• Like Like x 4
  4. gochugogi

gochugogi Mu-43 Veteran

5D3 and E-M1 make a great combo. I wouldn't toss a 5D series for an E-M1 but if you're not a birder with big glass I could see ditching a 7D or 60D for an EM-1.

• Like Like x 1
  5. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    A good read, John. I too have decided to keep my 5DMkII specifically for capturing landscape images for printing to 40" or so. I've chosen the 17-40 f/4 lens for this, which will most often be shot at f/8-11. I am also using the Ricoh GR and looking forward to seeing how 40" prints from it compare to my m4/3 gear. For me, the m4/3 remains a great go-to system when large wall prints aren't needed, but it isn't a do-all, for all-needs system for me. And that's why we have so many wonderful systems and cameras available on the market! It's so great to have the choices.

6. arad85

arad85 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    What lens are you using on the OM-D?

7. bcaslis

bcaslis Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2011
    Wilsonville, OR, USA
    Brian Caslis
    I don't disagree with your basic conclusions. But I don't see any reason why the Canon would be sharper than the E-M1 at 100%. I know the Nikon D600 is not as sharp as 100%, I assume that is because the E-M1 has no AA filter where the D600 does. I'm sure the Canon has more resolution but again I see no reason it should be sharper. Is this JPEG to JPEG or RAW to RAW?

8. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    As several other posters have alluded, which lenses are you using? Can we get a list?

Since this is a system test this makes a pretty big difference.

9. Test shots may be boring, but blogs are such a potentially unreliable, potentially biased source of information that backing up words with some real evidence never hurts. Lots of questions left unanswered here, and inquiring minds will want to know.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

My kitchen knives are getting blunt and obviously EM1 wont help here . I need to get sharper Canon5DIII:biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  11. johnvanr

johnvanr Mu-43 Regular

Feb 12, 2013
    I've used many different lenses, all Olympus (12mm, 45mm, 75mm, 14-150mm, 40-150mm) and one Panasonic (25mm).

12. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Well, in fairness to the OP, he's giving his opinion, nothing more. He's entitled to his opinion (it is his camera, after all), but that's all it is.

13. BarefootPilgrim

BarefootPilgrim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 23, 2009
    Westchester, IL
    Bob
    No, Bhup.... what you really want is a laser scalpel. :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  14. johnvanr

johnvanr Mu-43 Regular

Feb 12, 2013
    I'm not a technical expert. So often I see someone stating something about the workings of a digital file and someone else saying that that's wrong.

So, I just tell you what I see.

15. johnvanr

johnvanr Mu-43 Regular

Feb 12, 2013
    RAW to RAW

16. bcaslis

bcaslis Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2011
    Wilsonville, OR, USA
    Brian Caslis
    Since it's different cameras, I assume you are using Lightroom or Photoshop? If so keep in mind the E-M1 support in Lightroom 5.2 is "preliminary". I've already found plenty of problems in it (see my thread on Lightroom). So I would not make a final conclusion until Adobe updates their software.

17. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I think this is a fair comparison. I doubt anyone would expect the IQ on the E-M1 to match that on the 5diii if you go pixel peeping. The real question on IQ is whether it matters at the enlargement size you're planning to use.

I can't see it will matter at all if prints from uncropped and well-exposed shots are what's being considered - even if they get quite large. OTOH, if you want to print large from a cropped area of an image taken in low light at high ISO, then the 5dii will seriously best the E-M1.

I don't do too much of the latter, so I dumped my 5dii earlier this year and swapped entirely to the E-M5 and E-PL5. No regrets!

18. johnvanr

johnvanr Mu-43 Regular

Feb 12, 2013
    I see your point, but I've decided that I will not write my posts filled with technical stuff and not post endless boring images comparing this and that.

That's partly because I'm not technically inclined and partly because I always skip that stuff anyways when I read other reviews. I just want the reviewer's conclusion. If I don't trust the reviewer, I ignore that conclusion.

I hope I offer a fresh voice and I hope that you and others will grow to trust me. I'm open about my biases.

I'm aware that there are many open questions, but this was never meant to be a comprehensive review; just a discussion about keeping full-frame next to MFT.

19. johnvanr

johnvanr Mu-43 Regular

Feb 12, 2013
    Good point.

20. arad85

arad85 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    Which is fine, but then don't use absolutes in your question answering - you will get pulled to pieces by those who are interested in the technical stuff that way :wink: