1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

EM-1 Question When Shooting In Manual Mode

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Dennis Mansour, Jul 11, 2015.

1. Dennis Mansour

Dennis Mansour Mu-43 Regular

Jun 22, 2015
    dennis
    Is there any way to get the viewfinder lighter when shooting in M Mode? ex: I set ISO 200 F8
    1/125 sec and it is dark. Coming From DSLR the viewfinder never changed when shooting in Manual mode. I know I can select Aper or shutter priority but its not what I WANT TO use in Manual. Thank you I am using Oly lenses 75/1.8 and others.

2. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Try enabling Live View Boost.

Barry

3. Dennis Mansour

Jun 22, 2015
    dennis
    Hi Barry, I have to look this up to see how to do it. I just got the camera about a week ago and trying to LEARN it. Thank you , Dennis

4. Lcrunyon

Lcrunyon Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 4, 2014
    Maryland
    Loren
    Are you saying that your EVF is always dark, or just with those settings? Is that a proper exposure for the setting you are shooting in? If it's working properly, your EVF will be as bright or as dark as the picture you are shooting, so good exposure should look fine.

5. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    With the latest firmware:
    Options (cog menu) -> D (Disp/ ??? / PC) -> Second page, Live View Boost -> Manual shooting -> "On1"

6. CWRailman

CWRailman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 2, 2015
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Denny
    I agree with this. When in manual mode and the environment looks dark that means you have the wrong exposure settings. You need to use a slower shutter speed, open the lens more say f4 or there about's or both.

7. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    I tend to have exposure settings set very dark for manual... because I'm using flash and I need a bright viewfinder. YMMV

8. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    FYI, biofos. Com has a guide to setting up the E-M1, with explanations of many of the settings.

Barry

9. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    If you're shooting flash, then just turn live boost on. I leave it off because I want to see the effect of exposure compensation when I'm shooting but you can't preview flash so there's no reason not to turn live boost on.

10. Dennis Mansour

Jun 22, 2015
    dennis
    Thank you all. I am going to try this

11. Dennis Mansour

Jun 22, 2015
    dennis
    BRAVO….. It works GREAT. Thank you. The menu can be Complicated but worth the effort