1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

EM-1 peeling rubber

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by jeffryscott, Feb 17, 2015.

1. jeffryscott

jeffryscott Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 2, 2010
    Arizona
    I know this isn't an uncommon occurrence, but need some ideas. The rubber on the rear of my EM-1 has lifted up. I have tried rubber cement to tack it back down, but it appears to have stretched and does not fit back to how it should without bubbling up.

It is quite annoying from a usage standpoint, however, it isn't worth shipping to Olympus for this one problem.

Should I just take it completely off? Trim it and tack it down with some double sided thermal tape? Or cut it at the narrow point (at level of OK button) where it seems fine? Is there any trick to shrinking the rubber to make it fit again, as I'd rather keep it intact.

Lastly, Olympus use to sell replacement rubber for the E1, has anybody gotten a replacement piece for the EM-1?
    Thanks! image. image.

2. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    That's coming off very cleanly, you might look at taking it completely off, cleaning off the existing doubled sided tape and getting some replacement high strength tape. Placing the rubber in the freezer prior to taping, may shrink it down back to normal, but it's hard to say whether it'll stretch again when warm. But if the tape is of high quality, it may hold. I wouldn't use glue, as I tried that with my E-1 and it simply didn't work. There most likely will be replacement kits available, but whether Olympus sells them is another thing.

3. jeffryscott

Jul 2, 2010
    Arizona
    I've cleaned it off when I tried the contact cement. The freezer is a good idea to try.

4. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    You can get industrial, high bond and solvent free double-sided tape, probably easier in the US than here and that's what I'd use. I tried contact cement with my E-1 and it wasn't a good look.

5. fortwodriver

fortwodriver Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Frank
    Agreed... refrigerate to shrink and then use double-sided tape. I used rubber cement on a Nikon F100 and the results were gross.

6. jeffryscott

Jul 2, 2010
    Arizona
    I did get a reply from Olympus. The tech said to send it in, and assured me that replacement of the back rubber is much cheaper than the flat rate repair listed on the web site. However, all I requested was the part. I think I can manage sticking it down myself. I may call on my next day off and see if I can't just get someone to send me the piece, as I don't really want to spend the money on shipping and insurance. If that doesn't work, I will try it myself. I took it completely off and put it in the freezer, where it will stay until I am ready to try it. It is much nicer to use the camera without the rubber flapping about. I have some double-sided thermal tape (read somewhere that was the kind to get for this) and may give it a try if I can't get anywhere with Oly on the part.

7. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    You could have a piece of leather cut and attached. I looked but couldn't find any aftermarket "skinning" kits for the EM1.

8. jeffryscott

Jul 2, 2010
    Arizona
    Thanks! I had thought of that as well at one point, but forgot about it. I remember not seeing any then, but may try looking again (though I doubt I'll have any luck since you also just searched).

9. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO