1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

EM-1 or EM-5ii?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Exposed, Mar 1, 2015.

1. Exposed

Exposed Mu-43 Regular

Apr 13, 2011
    Central Washington State
    Randy dawson
    So I am down to selling the last of my Nikon gear going all Olympus. I have the EM-5 and love it along with the 12-40pro. I would like 2 bodies and was going for the EM-1 but when the EM-5ii came out, maybe it would be the way to go. I do not do much video and for the most part shoot everyday photos but also from time to time do a wedding but really want this gear for landscape type photos. I enjoy my time into the backcountry for overnight 3-5 day trips and the OMD line is perfect for this.

So if you have any thoughts on this, let me know. I must say with the price of the EM-5 so low, maybe just another would be my best bet and get another great lens.

Thoughts.....

2. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Canada
    David
    If you're doing landscape, I don't see a reason why you should get an E-M1. If you want 2 bodies and it's not for backup purposes (since you are open to a different body), I would get the E-M5 II. It suits you more being a landscape camera with its 40MP multi-shot if you can find some static subjects in the field (rocks and mountains and distant trees where the leaves motion can't be seen unless you stick your nose close to the canvas. But if makes sense if you need another great lens that you can save by buying a E-M5 with a lens combo. E-M1's strong point is using 4/3 lenses and its AF tracking ability.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. mistermark

mistermark Mu-43 Regular

Oct 16, 2012
    I've owned the original E-M5 and currently have the E-M1. I decided against buying the E-M5 mk2. As far as I can see, the case for the new model is based on static shots of non-moving subjects (even rustling trees in a landscape could pose problems for the 40MP mode) and enhanced video. In contrast, the E-M1 offers the best build and handling and greatest capabilities with moving subjects (I find this useful for portraits and street photography - it isn't just for sports and other action).

Olympus has hinted that the high-resolution mode will in time be available at handheld shutter speeds. My guess is that this could come with the E-M1 mk2, which could also gain the improved IS and articulating LCD screen of the E-M5 mk2. There could also be PDAF across the whole frame, not just a diamond around the centre. I'll hold on to what I've got until this is launched.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    I agree with bikerhiker, if you want a newer body, given your shooting requirements, the EM5 Mk II should fit everything you want and more.

If you want to save some money, though I'd consider getting another used EM5.

5. mistermark

mistermark Mu-43 Regular

Oct 16, 2012
    @gryphon, the OP isn't just shooting landscapes - he or she is also shooting weddings and other general photography. I'm assuming that some of this includes moving subjects and that little or none of it is still life or video, so the E-M1's PDAF could be more useful than the revised E-M5's still life mode or enhanced video.

Sent from my D6603 using Mu-43 mobile app

6. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Canada
    David
    The E-M1's PDAF sensors are not going to help in low light conditions where I assume most weddings occur anyhow -- indoors and in churches. The 40MP has a 64MP RAW file with original RAW, so if there is software like Photomatix which can take the original picture with no motion and merge it with a HDR to yield a great picture, I don't see why this technology can not be implemented in the future. As the popularity of E-M5 II rises so will the feature of this being implemented.
    :daz:

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. zulfur666

zulfur666 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 30, 2014
    I had the same question and decided to get a second E-M1. If you ever want a longer telephoto i.e. the 40-150 2.8 it works out to be a better combo with the E-M1 than the E-M5. If I were you keep the E-M5 and get a E-M1 use that for telephoto lenses. JMO

8. gryphon1911

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    You can always get the HDL-6 for the EM5 and have almost the same handling for longer lenses as the EM1. Even the price is still going to be under the cost of a new EM5 Mk II.

$400-$500 for a used EM5 Mk 1, $150-$200 or the HDL-6. At worst, you save $300!!

9. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    If you are go to the backcountry, the mk ii might be a better fit. Having two similar bodies might be a benefit as well.

• Like Like x 1
  10. zulfur666

zulfur666 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 30, 2014
    very true. BUT the E-M5 or Mark II with grip is not as nice of a "flow" to hold then the E-M1. I tried it, wasn't too thrilled. Also the E-M1 with the 40-150 f/2.8 when landscaping, sometimes you see a nice bird or flowers, and it somehow nails focus better than the E-M5. Don't know why but it does. Again JMO...

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. gryphon1911

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    No, but it is way better handling than without it, just to move the shutter release forward some.

I talked with Olympus directly about the focusing system and the PDAF does work in conjunction with the CDAF, so the EM1would be more confident of an AF device.

12. Exposed

Exposed Mu-43 Regular

Apr 13, 2011
    Central Washington State
    Randy dawson
    Thank you everyone for the insight. I am still leaning towards the EM-1 as a referb. Time will tell but again, thank you all for everything.

Randy