1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Em-1 - On The Fence

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by tacomadm18, Jun 20, 2014.

1. tacomadm18

tacomadm18 Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 16, 2012
    NJ
    So here goes -
    * I like to shoot just about anything - My job requires that I drive a lot so I like to take my equipment along ( you never know what you may miss)
    * I shoot full frame 6D - I like the camera - I don't go crazy with PP editing - few tweaks and thats all -
    * I know I could just use a small lens, etc and keep the 6D light - but then I end up thinking I should have brought all my stuff - off camera flash, etc, etc -
    * I'm also the type of person that does not want 2 or 3 cameras - I just want one system - so if I move to the Em-1, my 6D package will be sold -
    * I've read a lot on this subject and still on the fence
    * I'm very close to going for the EM-1 - I don't shoot a lot of action - IQ is important - I don't print much over 11x14 - The package I would go with - EM-1- 12-40 and one telephoto
    * Has any one that went full frame regretted doing so -
    * thanks for your feedback -

2. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    From what you have described, the you probably won't miss anything if you bought the E-M1. The E-M1 is capable of printing much larger than 11 x14, so nothing lost there. The added features of the E-M1, such a IBIS will assist in many ways. ISO performance won't be quite as good at anything over 6400, but I've found that you can go to ISO6400 with the E-M1 quite happily.

3. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    My go to kit is the em1 with 12-40 and 75 along with the hld7 or RRS boem grip. I also add the 7.5 every now and then to eat the clouds in the sky up here.

With ps cc 2014 I can upres my files to print really large if need be.

4. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    given that the traditional advantages of FF such as razor thin DOF and the perceived need to print to the size of a building don't seem to be part of your photographic needs then I would absolutely go the e-m1 route

the whole body/lens size advantage is so liberating

I still have a Canon 5d Mk2... i would not ever consider ever taking that out on a walk. I can fit ALL my primes 14/17/25/45/75 in a small domke bag without breaking my shoulder.

If you are interested in taking photos as opposed to fretting about specs, the e-m1 is one of the best games in town

visit my flickr page in my sig... pretty much everything if not all there from the last 18 months has been shot on e-m1 or e-m5

cheers

k

• Like Like x 2
  5. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    The EM-1 would be a great choice. I would not discount any of the OMD EM cameras, as they are all very capable. If you need better tracking AF, that is where the EM-1 will really show it's advantage.

If I did not shoot sports, I would probably not have a Nikon kit(see sig - I'd keep the Df with the primes, though...it is my favorite camera of all time) and be running with 2 EM1s.

6. Atom Ant

Atom Ant Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 24, 2012
    Melbourne, OZ
    Adam
    I missed more shots when I had a d-SLR with FF lenses than I've missed since migrating to m43.

I migrated because my d-SLR was burgled from my home while I was on vacation in France. I was sometimes a bit grumpy on that trip because I didn't have a nice camera and lenses with me, and even grumpier on arriving home at 3am after a 24 hour flight to find my precious gone.

Insurance would have paid for new copies of everything, but I took the opportunity to reconsider my equipment needs. Because i had been cleaned out I was unrestricted and could choose anything (almost ... there wasn't enough for a digital back for the neglected 'blad). I decided that the set of advantages and compromises associated with the m43 ecosystem was a better fit for my needs than the advantages and compromises associated with a d-SLR system. Any equipment choice has advantages and compromises!

For ME, m43 has been the right decision. It sounds like it could be for you too, but only you can do the analysis.

• Like Like x 2
  7. gotak

gotak Mu-43 Regular

Nov 28, 2012
    Toronto
    If you do low light photo a lot the em1 is going to be less capable, if you don't use primes.

For me I find the small size of the camera and the size of fast m43 primes makes the em1 and em5 excellent prime bodies. The more DOF at any aperture makes it easier to let as much light in as possible while still having stuff in focus.

And like everyone says you can't beat the size and weight with traditional DSLRs.

But ion the flip side if small dof and high I so is important you should consider the a7 series.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

8. tacomadm18

tacomadm18 Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 16, 2012
    NJ
    I was just doing some research and it also appears that my Canon flash and Phottix Strato TTL will work with the EM-1 - Is anyone using this - thx

9. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I use a Canon Off-Camera Shoe Cord 2 with my Olympus gear and have no issues with it firing off Olympus flash units. Olympus cameras have one less connector on the hot shoe, so I don't know what you will miss out on if using a Canon flash, you most likely will be relegated to manual and maybe auto flash, but likely not TTL. It could be easy to test by blanking off the terminal and seeing what the flash does (or doesn't do).

10. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    I think the Phottix Strato TTL and Canon Flash will work with the EM1 but you will certainly lose the 'TTL' and 'HSS'. I would guess you are better off selling it. You can buy Yongnuo 560iiis with built in receiver for US$80 each and a YN560-TX transmitter (with remote power and zoom) for US$100. There are no 'radio' wireless TTL/HSS flash for M43.

11. lightmonkey

lightmonkey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 22, 2013
    em1 is better than my FF for low light:

1) no IBIS means about 2 or 3 stops lost
    2) couldnt shoot wide open on FF...DOF so narrow a subtle movement could throw things OOF

having peaking also helps in MF when AF fails

12. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    I own 3 cameras right now. Full frame (Canon 5D Mk.II), cropped/m43 (Olympus OMD EM1) and small sensor (Ricoh GR Digital III).

I bought my EM1 about 2 months ago and it, along with my Ricoh, are my daily, carry with me everywhere cameras.

The EM1 is more camera than most people will ever need. Unless your main type of photography is high speed action sports, low light photography or printing VERY LARGE prints, the EM1 is just about perfect as an everyday camera that's also good enough for many serious pro jobs.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Yohan Pamudji

Yohan Pamudji Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 21, 2012
    Mississippi, USA
    Do you get TTL and HSS with the Yongnuo flash?

14. rpetruzz

rpetruzz New to Mu-43

Jun 22, 2014
    Hi,

I used to own a Canon 5D Mark III FF camera with 5 Canon L series lenses. 24-105 f4, 16-35 f2.8 L IS, 100 mm f2.8 macro, 85mm f1.2 and 70-200mm f2.8 L IS II. Great equipment, stuff anyone would be proud to own. And frankly equipment far beyond my skills to use effectively. Last August I decided to rent an EM-5 (before the EM-1 was announced) and I had a lot of fun for the week that I owned it. There was a little learning curve on the controls and features that I can't say I mastered in the week I rented. So I was still reluctant, given the potential for buyer's remorse. And I knew I'd have to sell off all my Canon gear to migrate to the Olympus OM-D.

Then in October my wife and I went to Vermont for some fall photography. I might mention here I'm 65 and while I exercise regularly and I'm in decent shape, I'm still older now and not as physically able as I was 10 years ago. Anyway, I took the 5D and 24-105 with the 16-35 and 70-200 and my Manfrotto carbon fiber tripod. I took it hiking on a trail for a mile in and mile back. I thought I'd die... my body was aching so badly ...

So as soon as I saw the OM-D EM-1 announced I purchased it and the 12-40 f2.8. Also the 45mm f1.8 and 40-150mm. I had so much fun shooting over the Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays that in January I sold off ALL of my Canon gear. Including three flash systems. I'm now purely Olympus OM-D EM-1 shooting.

Last month my wife and I went to Bermuda. I took the camera with 12-40mm, 9-18mm and 75-300 with us. And the FL600R flash. I was able to walk around everywhere and had a great time. I told my wife that with the smaller lighter camera I could get shots that I would never have attempted with the Canon due to it's size and weight and that I couldn't have carried the weight around.

I would say make the move and you won't regret it...

Bob

15. LoneRider

LoneRider Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2014
    Marysville, WA.
    Wayne
    I had a Canon 6D, 1D3 and a variety of lenses. 70-300mm L, Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8, and some primes. I sold everything but my 6D, a Canon 28-105mm USM zoom and a 50mm f/1.4 after buying my E-M1 and 12-40mm PRO f/2.8. I also kept my manual focus lenses and got adapters so I can use them on the M1.

I haven't missed all the Canon gear at all. I made more money selling the Canon gear than I spent on the MFT gear. I do occasionally miss the shallow depth of field, but I do what I can with the f/2.8 for now or one of my f/1.4 or f/1.8 manual lenses. Can also do some PP work if need be to simulate the blur.

M1 wifi control makes the 6D's wifi look like a cable release in function and a slide rule in how to use. Far more feature and ability, also easier to set up and use.

I decided to keep the 6D because it took me so long to get to full frame, I wanted to keep it for any "special" occasion that might warrant it. It hasn't been touched since I got the M1 and I have started to think about selling it as well. Not in a position where I need the money or want something else at this point so I will hang on to it for now, but I am betting once the 300mm PRO f/4 lens comes out I may be revisiting the idea.

What I gained with MFT over the FF DSLR is superior image stabilization that works with ALL of my lenses, even my vintage manual ones. Fulfilling my desire for a 24-70mm (effective) f/2.8 zoom for just over one third to one half the cost of the Canon or Tamron options and getting to an effective 600mm FL for under $500. My 70-300mm Canon lens was nearly the size of a 40oz Olde English 800, the Oly 80-300mm equivalent is the size of an 8oz can juice.

You give up some of the high ISO ability, but the M1 is good up to 12800 and the AF of the M1 beats the 6D in most areas as well.

With a properly planned and framed shot you can print 20"x30" as long as you don't have to crop too much away. I can carry the body and five lenses in a small messenger size bag that at most would fit the 6D and two lenses while weighing twice as much.

16. kj6grx

kj6grx New to Mu-43

Oct 21, 2013
    I would stay with the Canon. The E-M1 and 12-40 lens is not a small package. IMO, I don't think anything will be gained..

Best Regards,
    Guido

17. LoneRider

LoneRider Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2014
    Marysville, WA.
    Wayne
    The E-M1 and 12-40 lens is considerably smaller and lighter than the 6D and 24-105mm or any of the 2x-7xmm Canon zooms

18. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    +1.

Anyone used to a canon FF body and even the 24-105 /4.0 lens will find the E-M1 with the 12-40 downright compact. If you want a tough smaller and slightly better balanced, the Panasonic 12-35 is also great.

There is also the Sony A7 with the Zeiss 24-70/4.0 to consider though. Almost te exact size and weight of the E-M1 and 12-40 combo, less of a polished product, but the image quality is really great. I'm still on the fence about getting the 24-70, mostly because I already have the 12-40...

19. DWS

DWS Mu-43 Regular

Jun 6, 2014
    compared to my Nikon D3s/24-70 f2.8, the E-M1/12-40 is very much smaller