EM-1 Mk II memory card price / performance

dornblaser

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
David Dornblaser
Copying large 4K videos in UHS-II card to computer takes some time. It's much nicer to have UHS-II card reader. For still images, difference in transfer time is not so significant.

Yes, we recently did a two camera shoot and it was sooo slow to a MacBook Pro with an external drive. Faster on my iMac.

When I purchased a new card a few months ago, the Sandisk 280 wasn't easy to find. The Sandisk 300 was, but it wasn't even reviewed in the OP's link. And for what it is worth, I find the both the Sandisk 300 UHS-II and the Lexar 1000 UHS-II to be plenty fast with the EM-1 II. It's ridiculous how fast this camera will take photos.

hoodlum

Mu-43 Top Veteran
With the Lexar 2000x 64gb card I can shoot RAW at 9fps continuously and never have to worry about a slow down after filling up the buffer. The clearing of the buffer is much faster as well.

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Two years later, and I now have a mk2.
So I'm looking at UHS-2 cards.
Found the 64GB Lexar 1667x for $23
But what bothers me is how much cheaper the Lexar SD cards are compared to SanDisk. Significant price difference is usually a red flag that something is different. I searched the web and only found a handful of negative comments on the web.
Worth it or not?

Matt Drown

Mu-43 Veteran
I have some transcend uhs-II - 32gig - $33 - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015E8K818/

After some initial troubles, that appear to have been fixed with olympus firmware upgrades, I have had no issues and get fast speeds in camera, and "fast-enough" when plugged into the laptop.

Pick up the lexar's and try them out! Just validate that they aren't counterfeit before putting anything of value into them. At that price, I may pick one up to try. :)

wjiang

Mu-43 Legend
For whatever reason the E-M1 II didn't like some of the high speed Lexars at launch, don't know if this is still an issue or if it's been fixed.

I'm using a Sandisk 32 GB 300 MB/s one that I already had from my E-M1 (yes the E-M1 was not UHS-II but I got way faster download speeds onto the PC).

Last edited:

Michael Meissner

Mu-43 Top Veteran
For whatever reason the E-M1 II doesn't like some of the high speed Lexars, don't know if this is still an issue.
It may depend on whether the cards are new Lexars or old ones from existing stock. The Chinese company Longsys bought the Lexar company in 2017. I have to imagine that there might be differences between the current Lexar cards or the pre-2017 Lexar cards.

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Two years later, and I now have a mk2.
So I'm looking at UHS-2 cards.
Found the 64GB Lexar 1667x for $23
But what bothers me is how much cheaper the Lexar SD cards are compared to SanDisk. Significant price difference is usually a red flag that something is different. I searched the web and only found a handful of negative comments on the web.
Worth it or not?

Price dropped to less than $20, so I bought it.
I will test it when I receive it.
Now I have to get a UHS-2 card reader.

wjiang

Mu-43 Legend
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom