1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

EM-1 MF Toggle Disappeared??

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by denniscloutier, Dec 14, 2013.

1. denniscloutier

denniscloutier Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 24, 2011
    According to the manual for the EM-1, and according to the table on DPReview's review, I should be able to set one of the camera buttons to toggle manual focus on and off. I can't find this option in the button setup menus. Did they get rid of this in the firmware update or is it just me?

2. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    After a very quick look-see it would appear that all/most can be set to MF, I did not check ALL buttons.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    Go to custom Menu B, Button Function, select the button you want to have MF assigned to, use the up/down arrows to find MF, push OK and exit the menus.
    Any of the 6 bottoms that are customizable or any of the arrow keys can set up for manual focus.

• Like Like x 1
  4. marcr1230

marcr1230 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 28, 2013
    It's there - pg 99 and 100 of the full manual

from the monitor back - "OK" to light up the touch selection, front dial or touch to navigate to button customization, (bottom right), back dial to select the button to customize (I chose F2) OK and then right arrow control to get to the pick list of things you can assign to the button

easy peasy

• Like Like x 1
  5. denniscloutier

Dec 24, 2011
    Thanks, but are you guys getting this from reading the manual, or can you actually find the menu option on your camera? Also, do you have the firmware update installed? On my camera, if I go where Clint suggests, the mf option just isn't there. If someone can confirm that the option is there with their camera on the new firmware, then I'll probably try resetting mine or something.

Thanks,
    Dennis

6. jamespetts

jamespetts Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2011
    London, England
    I have the 1.1 firmware update, and I have the convex front button set to manual focus with no difficulty.

• Like Like x 1
  7. denniscloutier

Dec 24, 2011
    Well, that's weird. I found the problem. I had the lever set to switch between single and continuous autofocus (mode 5). If you do that your option to use a button to toggle manual focus disappears. I set the lever to mode 1 and now I can set most of my buttons to the MF option. Thanks for your help on this.

8. marcr1230

marcr1230 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 28, 2013
    I actually do try it before posting - what you found is one setting precludes another - that's hard to check unless there's a way to dump out the current camera configuration...

9. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    If I have not tried something that I have posted, I mention that in the post.

A negative of all the customization possibilities with the EM-5 and EM-1 is that it is pretty easy to have unintended consequences. Glad you resolved the issue, it would have been extremely hard for anyone else to help out.

BTW - you might be interest in the post I made about setting up the EM1.
    https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?p=568884#post568884