EM-1 Manual Focus Confirmation?

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Haans, Sep 9, 2013.

1. Haans

Haans Mu-43 Regular

Feb 18, 2012
    I've been glancing at all the threads on the new camera, but find little information on whether this thing will have a viable confirmation for manual focus on non-m4/3 legacy lenses.
    Anyone have any info that explains any of this, or is the info not available yet?

2. CarlG

CarlG Mu-43 Regular

Jun 6, 2013
    Tampa, FL
    Carl
    I thought the official (rumored) announcement was coming tomorrow or Wednesday? If so, you'll have all your questions answered then.

3. Haans

Haans Mu-43 Regular

Feb 18, 2012
    Amazing. No one knows anything about manual focus confirmation? Guess looks are more important than function. Or is it the Wi-Fi? Autofocus with 4/3 lenses?
    Guess I will just wait. I don't expect anything like a solid confirmation focus as most folks don't care about manual lenses and Olympus couldn't sell new lenses if people used old ones...

4. ThomD

ThomD Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    I'm not sure I understand your question. Initial details are posted in many places, so feel free to Google it and report back what you find.

5. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Not yet, no.

You sort of answered your own question here. Adapted 3rd party manual lenses are not something most people use.

A decent guess would be to look at previous Olympus cameras with PDAF. As it happens, they've never offered focus confirm with non-electronically coupled lenses before now.

6. Haans

Haans Mu-43 Regular

Feb 18, 2012
    Guess you are right. Don't see any reason to get one then. Key Line focus seems to work pretty well except for wide open critical focus, and same with magnify. Thanks.

7. cdmicha

cdmicha Mu-43 Regular

Dec 28, 2012
    Arkansas
    Chris
    According to the write ups on the product pages of Adorama and Amazon, the E-M1 has focus peaking.

8. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    If I'm understanding the articles from people who've used the camera there's no confirmation on non-coupled lenses, but peaking is available for everything.

Fred

9. Haans

Haans Mu-43 Regular

Feb 18, 2012
    Looks like it does have some sort of focus peaking. Guess I'll have to have one in hand before I even think about it. Sounds like it's similar to the Key Line on the EM-5, possibly a bit more accurate. Doubt I will get on a pre order list, more likely will wait till the price drops or maybe when the EM-1/2 comes out. :rolleyes:

10. tornado

tornado Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Focus Peaking is on the EM-1...which will be a huge benefit to legacy or fully manual glass users. Like with the EM-5, you will need to manually activate it with a custom button press for such lenses. Fully auto lenses being used in manual mode will be able to auto activate FP or zoomed view (or both together??) when moving the focus ring.

It will be nice to see if focus confirm is present when using legacy/MF lenses....should not be difficult to implement if they wanted.

11. Dramaturg

Dramaturg Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2013
    Ukraine
    Yevgen
    One video review on Youtube says that focus peaking works only with native lenses (with electric contacts) and doesn't with legacy ones.

12. Mr.Kilawin

Mr.Kilawin Mu-43 Regular

Sep 23, 2012
    I have quick glance at Gordon Laing's review/preview and he mentioned that Focus peeking works on his Samyang Fisheye which have no electronic circuitry.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yeah, peaking has nothing to do with lens communication so whoever said you need a native lens must have been mistaken. Most likely, he confused automatic activation of the peaking with the peaking itself. When you have a 4/3 or m4/3 lens, it can read when you're using the manual focus ring and automatically activate focus aids at the first movement. Just like the MF Assist that every Olympus m4/3 camera has had since the first Digital Pen. With an auto lens you can activate the zoom simply by touching the focus ring, whereas with a manual lens you need to press the magnify button (or info-zoom function on earlier models). The function is still there, it just requires the press of a button to activate. Same thing with peaking... I'm sure you can set the E-M1 to activate either Focus Peaking or Magnify when it reads that you are using the manual focus ring, but with a manual lens you need to tell the camera when you want to use the function.

14. Haans

Haans Mu-43 Regular

Feb 18, 2012
    I just looked at that preview, thank you, Mr. K! He says it's like the EP-5 focus peaking. Then I looked at Steve Huff's vid on the EP-5 which seems to display a glitzy aura around the part of the image that is in focus. Really don't know if that is any better than the Key Line where when the most detail in black is achieved on the area you are focusing on, you have nailed it. Looks like the big difference would be not focusing on a cartoon. Have gotten kinda used to it though.
    As all my 4/3 lenses are non-SWD, they focus well, and landscapes aren't going to run away from me. Believe I will just wait it out till I can try the camera.
    BTW Thom, I did google the question, and guess what? Sure enough, I got my own question. Catch 22...

15. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Focus Peaking will never be perfect. It was a technology made for video and is meant for speed over accuracy. Which is fine, but you need the right tools for each job. If you need speed, use peaking. If you need accuracy, use magnification. Most people can focus faster using peaking than focusing blind with no aids, and can do it at least as accurately as using no aids. When magnification is too slow for what you're doing, then this is a useful tool to improve on what you can do without it. It doesn't need to be perfect in every field to be useful, as each tool has its strengths and weaknesses.

If you have 4/3 lenses though, then the ability to AF with PDAF could be a huge advantage to you! That can't be overlooked.

16. Haans

Haans Mu-43 Regular

Feb 18, 2012
    Ned, are you saying that the "huge advantage" is speed?

17. tornado

tornado Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    One point that's sure to annoy the video shooters....Focus Peaking doesn't appear to operate in video recording mode, no matter what lens you are running.

18. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    That was my experience with peaking on the Pentax Q. It was easier and faster to MF using peaking, but I was more accurate using magnification. For example, I always used magnification for critical focus in macro work. This was really tempting with the the Q because the 5.5 crop factor made my old MF f4 macro into a 275-equivalent. Take that bee on flower.

19. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Some peaking systems are better than others! It also requires a fair amount of contrast with distinct lines between them. Those systems that add a bright color such as red or green make it easier and more accurate than those that are just white. At work we have two AF100 camcorders with excellent red focus peaking and it nails the focus. But if you use the white peaking mode it isn't as easy to get perfect focus.

Ned is right that magnification is generally more accurate than peaking. HOWEVER, magnification is very hard to use with a long lens or close up. So the best thing is to have both available and toggle between them as needed. With the new E-M1 these can be set as custom buttons{from what I understand}.

20. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    After several years of shooting most of the time with legacy lenses I still prefer magnification to peaking, but it's nice to have the option now.