EM 1 iii vs EM 5 iii

John King

Member of SOFA
Real Name
John ...
Good question John. Better AF performance for birds and better low light performance.
Peter, the E-M1 MkIII will give you better AF and about half to two thirds stop better DR.

Lots of other improvements over your E-M5 MkII. I would not recommend the E-M5 MkIII for your use.

Keep your E-M5 MkII as a backup/smaller kit.

IF you even think you may get the 12-100, I suggest the EM1-mk2 or mk3. The reason is the larger battery.
I don't know about the 12-40/2.8 and PL lenses, but the 12-100 is a power HOG. My EM1-mk1 went from 4 hours (continuous ON) with the P-Lumix 12-60, down to 2-1/2 hours with the 12-100. :(
I think the EM5s have the same or similar capacity battery as the EM1-mk1.
Yes just purchased two extra batteries because of the power drain using the EM1.3 & 12-100

stevedo

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Steve
Also consider that the E-M1.3 has a shutter rated for 400,000 actuations. The E-M5.3 shutter is rated for 200,000 actuations.

Not often mentioned but the E-M1.3 has an intervalometer which allows 9999 shots. As far as I know the 5.3 is limited to 999 (not 100% sure on that though).

I have a 5.1 and a 1.2 so not direct comparisons with what you are considering. However, I find the form factor and handling of the 1.2 to be far superior in every respect.

RAH

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Rich
It's not exactly on topic, but the G9 will do 80MP images on the tripod as well. It just has no official HHHR mode (you can attempt it in mode 2, if you can be steady and have a fast shutter speed, though I can't say it would gain you much).
Yes, I just checked and you are correct, the G9 will do 80MP jpg images on a tripod (as well as RAW). It always seemed odd to me that Oly was producing those 50mp jpgs (until the E-M1.3). The G9 is getting kind of old so I figured it is probably the same as the older Oly hi-res models, but nope, it can do the 80MP jpgs. Interesting. :)

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
Assuming you have used your E-M5 Mark II in a way that included Mysets, I suspect you would find the E-M5 Mark III frustrating and hobbling. For this sort of use, the E-M1 Mark III is at least the equal of the E-M5 Mark II, if not slightly superior. The E-M5 Mark III, by contrast, has only one C setting (C1) on the mode dial and accessing either of the two non-default C-settings (C2 & C3) is way, way more difficult than it needs to be. Worse, the choice of either C2 or C3 is not sticky and must be made each time you change the mode dial. Download the manual and read those instructions carefully. Read and weep. It's an astonishingly poor implementation. If you don't care about Mysets or Custom Settings, then it's quite a fine camera and suffers little else by comparison to the Mark II.
I didn’t know that. I loved the EM5.2 when I had it and have occasionally thought about replacing my EM10.2 (backup to my EM1.3) with the EM5.3. However, I use Mysets/C settings extensively so I’d get very frustrated very quickly with the new 5.3 with that implementation.

RAH

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Rich
I just discovered recently that not only are the C2 and C3 settings not sticky (you have to re-activate them if you turn the dial away and then back to "C"), but if you are in C mode and have gone into the menu to set it to use "C2" or "C3" and turn your camera off (as I do to save power), when you turn it back on, it reverts to the C1 settings. It might even do this if it goes to sleep, although perhaps not. Anyway, it is awful. Only saving grace is that you can configure the camera to start at the last-used menu item when you press Menu, so you can at least very quickly chose C2 or C3 (assuming you haven't menu-dived since then).

I didn’t know that. I loved the EM5.2 when I had it and have occasionally thought about replacing my EM10.2 (backup to my EM1.3) with the EM5.3. However, I use Mysets/C settings extensively so I’d get very frustrated very quickly with the new 5.3 with that implementation.
This is and the plastic body killed the sale for me. And the mkIV will take ages to come to fruition, if at all…

I just discovered recently that not only are the C2 and C3 settings not sticky (you have to re-activate them if you turn the dial away and then back to "C"), but if you are in C mode and have gone into the menu to set it to use "C2" or "C3" and turn your camera off (as I do to save power), when you turn it back on, it reverts to the C1 settings. It might even do this if it goes to sleep, although perhaps not. Anyway, it is awful. Only saving grace is that you can configure the camera to start at the last-used menu item when you press Menu, so you can at least very quickly chose C2 or C3 (assuming you haven't menu-dived since then).
This is how companies direct consumers to upgrade to the next tier model.

Classic crippleware.

saladin

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
jason
As a "generalist" , I'm not sure there's a better camera in the system than the 5iii . Its not perfect, but it's a unique combination that can tackle pretty much anything. And I've shot mine with the 100-400 Oly without any qualms. The 1iii is "better" in many ways, but only you can say if you need what it gives. Just my opinion.

Some extended thoughts on the 5iii here, if it helps (I really should get around to doing an update at some point, lol). But keep in mind that other than the sheer physical size, there's nothing that the 1iii can't also do, and in some ways probably better, if you're pushing the envelope.

https://www.mu-43.com/threads/olympus-om-d-e-m5-mkiii-a-rolling-review.107219/

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
This is how companies direct consumers to upgrade to the next tier model.

Classic crippleware.
It sounds more like a poorly thought through change. Whatever the motivation though, it will stop me from getting one. The plastic build feel and dodgy tripod mount was already a downer, but this is the killer in my view. Pity - the EM5.2 was a fantastic bit of kit.

Ghostbuggy

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Phill
Some extended thoughts on the 5iii here, if it helps (I really should get around to doing an update at some point, lol). But keep in mind that other than the sheer physical size, there's nothing that the 1iii can't also do, and in some ways probably better, if you're pushing the envelope.

https://www.mu-43.com/threads/olympus-om-d-e-m5-mkiii-a-rolling-review.107219/
I sincerely suggest the OP gives this a read, it is a nice, "real world" review with lots of good photos and thoughts about chosing and using the E-M5 Mark III.

While I don't own one, at least for me it is one of the most interesting models in Olympus' current line-up of cameras: Rather compact, light, versatile, good EVF, not too expensive either. I agree the choice of using a plastic construction wasn't ideal for this camera, especially considering the previous models of the series and after all I can't help but believe this really was a cost-cutting decision much more rather than one for convenience.
However if one can look beyond and a full metal build-quality isn't top priority for, it is decent overall package. The bigger shame more or less is: Why did it so long for Olympus to release it....but that question is one of the past.

RAH

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Rich
Replying to myself to make a complete thought, I tested the E-M5.3 while in C-dial-mode, C3, letting it go to sleep. When it came back up (from pressing any key), it was still in C3 - i.e. it does not idiotically revert to C1 like turning it off causes.

I'm sure some programmer at Olympus got fired for this mistake! A crippleware executive could easily argue that sleep and powering off should work exactly the same way in this regard. They'll probably have a firmware update to fix this oversight! ;)

This does give a user a very good reason to use the technique of letting their camera go to sleep instead of turning it off (I can never decide which is better), at least when using a C-mode other than C1.

Replying to myself to make a complete thought, I tested the E-M5.3 while in C-dial-mode, C3, letting it go to sleep. When it came back up (from pressing any key), it was still in C3 - i.e. it does not idiotically revert to C1 like turning it off causes.

I'm sure some programmer at Olympus got fired for this mistake! A crippleware executive could easily argue that sleep and powering off should work exactly the same way in this regard. They'll probably have a firmware update to fix this oversight! ;)

This does give a user a very good reason to use the technique of letting their camera go to sleep instead of turning it off (I can never decide which is better), at least when using a C-mode other than C1.
I believe it was simply a reasonable design decision by Olympus. I can understand why some might prefer C2 and C3 to be "sticky" on power off. I personally prefer them as they are - not sticky.

Too many times with my E-M5.2, I would turn it on and take a quick photo, only to find after the fact that I had dorked with the settings previously, ruining the most recent photo. I count on being able to switch to C1 and always have a known camera state. I would never remember whether I left it in C1 or C2 or C3 if those states were sticky.

It would be fantastic if the E-M5.3 had all three modes on the selection dial, but that wouldn't have made much sense from a marketing perspective, if there is to be differentiation between the E-M5.3 and E-M1.3. And besides, if the E-M5.3 was a "mini" E-M1.3, which I would like, they would probably cost pretty much the same, which again doesn't make sense from a marketing view.

When I expect to need C1, C2, and C3 modes, I use my E-M1.2. For someone using the camera as you do, your posts are a strong argument to use an E-M1.2 or E-M1.3 in place of the E-M5.3.

RAH

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Rich
That's an interesting and certainly valid reason for not wanting the C2 and C3 to be sticky. Now that I know that it works this way, as I mentioned at the end of my above post, I can overcome with when I do use a C2 or C3 by just letting it go to sleep instead of turning it off to save power. So I'd only turn it off when I am really finished for the day or whatever. I do have an E-M1.3 and the extra Cs on the dial are certainly ideal. :)

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom