Em-1 ii sensor ar coating.

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by MRM, Oct 8, 2016.

1. MRM

MRM Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2013
    Seattle, WA
    Matt
    Olympus seems to be touting an anti reflective coating on both sides of the sealing glass over the sensor. They state that this will reduce ghosting and flairs and on their Facebook page even state that it will "drastically reduce ghoasts and flaring for an astoundingly clear picture." I have never heard them talk about anything like this in previous cameras. Does anyone know if Olympus or other manufacturers have used this prior. They seem to feel it is important as it is one of the first sentences about image quality on the press release. What are your thoughts?

2. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I don't know whether an anti-reflective coating will do anything substantial, but what I can say is that when I tried the Sony A7Rii one of the big differences I found was that it seemed to do a much better job of avoiding what I think was sensor blooming; a diffuse glow around the edges of strongly backlit subjects. Maybe the Sony sensor uses a similar trick?

3. MRM

MRM Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2013
    Seattle, WA
    Matt
    I have been looking around the web and the only other info on sensor AR coatings I found was to do with newer Sonys. Just that cleaning yourself can hurt the coating. If this is new for Olympus or at least a better coating I wonder how much of an improvement there will be. I am hoping the flair with legacy lenses and wide angles will be improved. The 7-14 pro is suppose to be poor with flairs and ghosting and maybe when it came out they knew they were going to fix that problem in the future at the sensor.

4. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    I've seen no problem at all with the 7-14 Pro except when the sun is directly in the photo, when you get some ghosting.

5. LTZ470

LTZ470 New to Mu-43

Feb 4, 2011
    Precisely why I gave up the 7-14 PRO...too much flaring was ruining critical shots....