EM-1 IBIS clunk noise at start up and REALLY LOUD at shut down.

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by wallenarts, Nov 25, 2013.

1. wallenarts

wallenarts New to Mu-43

Aug 25, 2013
    I have been shooting digitally since the Canon 10d in progression all the way through to the 5D Mark III in my wedding and event work. In that time I have had several in lens image stabilizers and yes in deed they have a little bit of a clunk when starting up and shutting down the IS. The IBIS in the EM1 at startup and especially at shut down noise seems excessive to me. Anyone else feeling the same or having any issues with the IBIS of the EM1? I need to make a vid example of this "clunk" Makes me nervous in fact and doubt its longevity and viability as an event photographer camera.

2. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The Olympus 5-axis IBIS is quite different from your typical OIS. The whole sensor is electromagnetically levitated while the camera is on, and drops back to resting position when powered off, so would sound quite a bit different.

3. wallenarts

wallenarts New to Mu-43

Aug 25, 2013
    It is indeed a completely different system than I have used in the past, it just seems really loud. Something I will just need to get used to perhaps?

4. gr8Shot

gr8Shot Mu-43 Regular

Nov 13, 2013
  5. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    I've noticed the E-M1 is louder than the E-M5. Mind you the E-M5 got a firmware update to quieten the IBIS. My E-M1 is new but I have a E-M5 body with 50k actuations and the IBIS is as good as day one.

Also remember the IBIS is a lot closer to your ear than the in lens stabiliser you're used to. Plus your holding it against your skull so the sound is amplified.

It's certainly nothing to panic about and you'll get used to it in short order. Plus, it's so damn effective you'll start wondering why Canon doesn't have IS in their L primes.

Gordon

6. wallenarts

wallenarts New to Mu-43

Aug 25, 2013
    Thanks for the tip Gr8shot. I will give it a try tonight. Gordon, are you shooting weddings with your EM-1?

7. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    Only one so far. But yeah, It'll replace my E-M5's as my AF system at weddings.

Have shot a couple of studio session though as well as some testing. I'm really digging the files this thing produces....

11061582216_61d5d08c38_c.
    FGP10659.jpg by Flash Gordon Photography, on Flickr

Gordon

• Like Like x 2
  8. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Are you sure the sound is just the IBIS? Remember that the shutter is also closed when you turn the camera on and is opened when you turn it off, and the E-M1 has a fairly hefty shutter.

• Like Like x 1
  9. wjiang

Ah yes, good point - DSLRs using the OVF have a mirror/prism and shutter that can all be in the down position normally. An EVF camera needs to lift the shutter on power up for live view...

Edit:
    Except that the sensor is normally exposed, meaning that the shutter is already up...

10. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    On an EM5, during power up and power off, the shutter does nothing, but there is a soft click as the sensor is un-parked.and a soft clunk as it is put back into the locked position. One would normally not hear it unless the camera is held close to the ear.

11. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    You're right. I got myself mixed up with the system used on their DSLRs. Looks like it's just the sound of the IBIS. I will say that the E-M1 was noticeably louder than the E-M5, though I have no idea why.

12. Fritzsching

Fritzsching New to Mu-43

Nov 27, 2013
    Cleveland
    I received my EM-1 last week and it does the same thing. If you remove your lens and cycle the power, you'll notice the sensor re-seating it self during shutdown as mentioned earlier. Depending on the position the camera is in (tilted up or down) the sound level changes intensity when cycling power. By the looks of it, it's totally normal (Hope that helps comfort a bit).
    Phenomenal camera though, it's such an upgrade compared to my last full camera kit (I sold years ago) the original 4/3s E1. I ended up selling all my gear because I gave up waiting for Olympus to offer something competitive against the big brands. Loved the build of the E1, but clients looked at me funny when I responded about the file sizes. Anyways I'm back to Olympus... Along with the EM-5 this is definitely one of the best out of Olympus yet.

• Like Like x 1
  13. JimUSNY

JimUSNY Mu-43 Regular

Nov 5, 2013
    Mid Hudson Valley NY
    Jim
    Mine makes no clunk noise at all set to auto iso on power up or down, I hear IS working but no clunks on on or off... only thing I hear at power off is lens reset and I probably should turn that off as well.. really no need for it except maybe if I am using the 50MM macro.. but I have my lag time on normal as well

14. SpecFoto

SpecFoto Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    So Cal
    Jim

On my EM-5 I have never noticed it. Yesterday I received my EM-1 and it was the noticeably right away (even before I read this post :smile:) . Soft on start up, but very noticalbe when shut down. So I turned on the EM-5, heard nothing, but when I shut it down, I heard for the first time ever, a very soft clunk. :rolleyes: My only concern is for the longevity of whatever part is making the noise, but since it has been happening to the EM-5 for over a year with no issues, and without me noticing it, I will forget about it.

• Like Like x 1
  15. bcaslis

bcaslis Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2011
    Wilsonville, OR, USA
    Brian Caslis
    My E-M1 clunks when starting and turning off. Off is probably louder. I've listened to two others in a store and they are exactly the same way. So, it's perfectly normal. What it means in the long term, who knows.

• Like Like x 1
  16. lex22

lex22 New to Mu-43

Nov 20, 2013
    What about a little rattle when off? I'm assuming it is the sensor moving around when the IBIS is off because it does not happen when the camera is in, but it would be nice hear that it is normal.

17. wjiang

Yip. E-M5 is the same.

18. gr8Shot

gr8Shot Mu-43 Regular

Nov 13, 2013
  19. EarthQuake

EarthQuake Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2013
    I have both and while the EM5 makes similar noises, the EM1 is noticeably louder. I would not be concerned.

20. dcisive

dcisive Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Lee
    gr8Shot is absolutely correct. I had mine on "short" but when I put it back to "Normal" now there is nearly NO thud or movement. When I turn the camera off there is a very brief set of the IBIS and that is it. Before it went longer. Not to mention the shutter response now seems quite instant with NO hesitation. I would have though on "short" it would have been more so. Go figure. I'm leaving it on "Normal" now for sure.