1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

EM-1 Hacked Firmware

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by griswoldo, Sep 24, 2014.

1. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'm surprised they haven't been able to do something like 24/25p with these hacks. I'd rather have that as opposed to 4k for now!

2. RamblinR

RamblinR Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    Sunshine Coast, Qld Australia
    Maria
    Sounds promising.
    Will be watching these sites to see how successful they are with the video mods.
    I won't be trying the hack at this time.

3. IDLookout

IDLookout Mu-43 Regular

Apr 26, 2012
    Northern Idaho
    I noticed he took the links out for an E-M5 hack - anyone know what that entailed before it was removed? Or did i miss it there on the blog?

4. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Is this the same guy who "broke" his E-M10?

5. Johbremat

Johbremat Mu-43 Regular

Dec 5, 2013
    Here's hoping LightSnow is the new Magic Lantern.

6. Aushiker

Aushiker Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 12, 2014
    Fremantle, Western Australia
    Andrew
    I am passing ... I have done this once with my last iPad ... no end of hassle down the track trying to later update the operating system. Learnt my lesson nearly the hard way.

Andrew

7. Zee

Zee Mu-43 Top Veteran

I'll consider it if it offers something I like.

I've hacked my 400D previously, and can't stand running my iPad or iPhone without a jailbreak, so I have no issue giving it a crack - as I said though, only if it has something I want...

Z...

8. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Something like canon's CHDK would be awesome.

9. griswoldo

griswoldo Mu-43 Regular

Sep 27, 2011
    I agree that I will consider it if something compelling gets added. It is encouraging that someone is taking a swing at hacking the firmware. I know the GH2 hack was pretty popular, and if they can get something stable out there for the EM-1 that offers some compelling new features (I'm mostly interested in better 1080p video), then that would be awesome.

10. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Pirate software, no thanks!

11. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Yarr shiver me timbers!!!

12. Zee

Zee Mu-43 Top Veteran

Notsureifserious.jpg

Z...

13. Reflector

Reflector Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 31, 2013
    Listen to the authorities. They tell you the boot crushing your throat is for collective security. Pay no attention to the darkening of your vision. Authority figures know best, listen to them and shut off all regions of your brain that allow for critical thought or they will shut them off for you. This is for the greater good of the authorities.

...But in seriousness: I hope some improvements come along for the E-M5. IBIS for video is awesome. Olympus video quality isn't awesome. At least it will be get closer to something "beyond just acceptable" for the E-M1 users now.

14. JohnN

JohnN Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2014
    I always had MagicLantern on my Canon bodies and would love to see something for Olympus.

What ML has done for Canon is to introduce features it seemed Canon didn't think of - which in time appeared in the mainstream firmware. These hacks show what can be done with the right team and motivation.