EM-1 Guide

cgbick

New to Mu-43
Disappointing that the EM-1 doesn't include a printed manual. There's a lot to absorb for a new owner, and the onscreen manual isn't the best way. Is there a good printed guide yet?

Ranger Rick

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Rick
Don't know if the E-M1 has one, but you can buy a printed copy for the E-M5 from Olympus for $10. They should give you a printed one, but since they don't give you a lenshood... :)

EMC

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Eddie
Disappointing that the EM-1 doesn't include a printed manual. There's a lot to absorb for a new owner, and the onscreen manual isn't the best way. Is there a good printed guide yet?

My manual was in the pack which included the Viewer 3 Cd, which was a small manual..............I also purchased one off ebay someone printed in the U.K.............which was 81/2 x 11 binded with front back cover.....

Grinch

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Maybe check with whoever you purchased from, mine came with a paper manual.

Musashi

Mu-43 Regular
I received my 12-40 more than a month ago, and mine was packaged with a hood. Are the new ones being shipped now being sold without it?

And thanks for the heads up about being able to buy a full E-M1 manual directly from Olympus - I always like having a copy in the bag. The copy that came with the body was essentially a table of contents that referenced pages that weren't there. It appeared complete only because it came in 3-4 different languages.

Ranger Rick

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Rick
No, the 12-40 is unusual in that it DOES come with a lens hood. Most don't, charge extra (e.g., $80 for the hood for the 75mm!). My point was that if you don't supply a hood, why would you give a free manual?

I've had my 12-40 for more than a month now, and mine was packaged with a hood. Are the new ones being shipped now being sold without it?

And thanks for the heads up about being able to buy a full EM1 manual directly from Olympus - I always like having a copy in the bag. The copy that came with the body was essentially a table of contents that referenced pages that weren't there. It only appeared complete only because it came in 3-4 different languages.

Musashi

Mu-43 Regular
No, the 12-40 is unusual in that it DOES come with a lens hood. Most don't, charge extra (e.g., $80 for the hood for the 75mm!). My point was that if you don't supply a hood, why would you give a free manual?

Being new to Olympus, that's good to know. Maybe Olympus plans to do it like Canon, where their L series lenses come with cases and hoods, but their consumer grade lenses don't (and the hoods cost $60+ a pop).

sdsyver

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Shawn

I just downloaded the PDF from Olympus and keep it on my iPhone and laptop. I do agree that it should have come with one however.

marcr1230

Mu-43 Regular
I printed out the manual - 40 pages 2 sided , 2 pages per side

Need to bind It
Also have the PDF on ipad

DaveBurbank

New to Mu-43
Maybe check with whoever you purchased from, mine came with a paper manual.

My guess is that yours did not come with the full manual but a rather incomplete printed users guide. The full Instruction Manual for the E-M1 is 165 pages long and is included on the CD as a pdf. If you order the $10 version from Olympus, it comes from a 3rd party company that prints things.

stefanl

New to Mu-43
Here in Germany registered E-M1 owners can get a printed manual for free from Olympus. I just sent them an Email with my contact details and serial number of my E-M1. Three days later my manual arrived.

Maybe this works in other countries too.

Kind regards
Stefan

Dave in Wales

Mu-43 All-Pro
Here in Germany registered E-M1 owners can get a printed manual for free from Olympus. I just sent them an Email with my contact details and serial number of my E-M1. Three days later my manual arrived.

Maybe this works in other countries too.

Kind regards
Stefan

I'll give it a try, thanks.

Ulysses

Mu-43 Regular
Inside a sub-box inside the main box was a 92-page user manual and software CD. Interestingly the PDF file you can download from Olympus is 165 pages.

Honestly, I don't care for paper manuals. They're bulky, wasteful, rarely used by me, and they're not easily searchable the way a PDF is.

cd23murray

Mu-43 Regular

I live in the US and just call Customer Service and tell them you want one. I did this for the EM-5 and EM-1, they take my address and I had one in less than a week for free in both cases.

Dave in Wales

Mu-43 All-Pro
Reply from Oly..........

I have had a Paper manual sent out to you and it should be with you in a day or two.

Just wait and see now if it a full or short form manual.........watch this space.

Full paper manual arrived.......bound copy of PDF on 'good' quality paper.

I can't explain it but, it changes my attitude to owning a EM1, it's much more enjoyable/pleasurable (and my E/P experience was already rated at 110%) no more peering a PDF going up and dowwn trying to locate some obscure requirement...........the index is C**P as we all know, sadly it's it's the same index in the bound volume.

The printed manual is available from.......http://www.oldtimercameras.com/stock/Model.asp?Model=27256&ModelPage=true

I would stronghly advise it's purchase.

Latest threads

Top Bottom