EM-1 goes in for service

adamsmt2013

Mu-43 Regular
On Friday, I was driving with my family to dinner when a Camaro driven by a teenager promptly stole my lane, forcing me to slam on the brakes and swerve to the next lane. My camera took a tumble in the back seat.

When I tried to turn it on at the restaurant, I learned that it was unresponsive. I tried the battery trick, I tried using the firmware updating trick, I tried a new battery, a new lens.

Nothing worked. The screen comes on and only the battery icon illuminates. The screen is slightly dim as well. After two seconds, the camera turns itself off. I dropped the camera off at UPS to ship it to NJ (Olympus service) for evaluation and hopefully a realistically-priced repair.

I hope this repair does not cost me too much. Has anyone else had a similar failure? How much was the repair?

Thank you in advance,

Matt

AussiePhil

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Phil
Oh wow not good. Hope it's repairable for you.
Early in the life of my EM1 it took a fall from a 4 foot high table and I managed to break most of its fall with my foot before it impacted the concrete. It was a nervous minute whilst I checked it out but all was good... certainly had it tumble around in the car and fall off the front seat the same way from braking hard without damage.

adamsmt2013

Mu-43 Regular
Oh wow not good. Hope it's repairable for you.
Early in the life of my EM1 it took a fall from a 4 foot high table and I managed to break most of its fall with my foot before it impacted the concrete. It was a nervous minute whilst I checked it out but all was good... certainly had it tumble around in the car and fall off the front seat the same way from braking hard without damage.

Great news from Olympus. I sent the camera into Olympus for service. They received it on 3/30 and it was shipped back to me today - very fast turnaround. The tumble broke the rear dial and the shutter mechanism. $194 to repair it.

I cannot speak more highly of the service Olympus provided. Outstanding!

Carbonman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Graham
The tumble broke the rear dial and the shutter mechanism. $194 to repair it.
These are the 2 items that fail under normal use - you should be good for a really long time now.
My E-M1's shutter was locking with every exposure in below freezing temperatures. I sent it in and they replaced the shutter and rear dial, even though the rear dial wasn't bothering me.

Latest threads

Top Bottom