1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

EM-1 Focusing Slow?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by dlhomesolutions, May 2, 2016.

1. dlhomesolutions

dlhomesolutions Mu-43 Regular

Sep 30, 2013
    Peoria, IL
    Hey guys,

I have an EM5 mk ii that I have been shooting with for a while. I love it. I bought a used EM-1 on the forum here because I wanted the higher speed auto focus that the contrast and phase detection would bring. When using any lens even the 12-40 2.8 pro, the EM5ii is lighting fast to focus and the EM1 seems to hunt for quite a while. Is there something wrong with the EM1 I bought, or some settings I need to change?

Any help is appreciated.

2. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    Must be settings. The EM1 is faster in practically every way than the EM5 (never had the MKii fwiw).

3. Scruffy

Scruffy New to Mu-43

Jan 16, 2016
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Does not sound right. Mine is almost instantaneous with either of the PRO lens I use. Just a guess, but if your not shooting in extremely low light or contrast check all related settings. Single auto focus, continuous, auto tracking on or off, etc?

4. dlhomesolutions

Sep 30, 2013
    Peoria, IL
    Is there a chance something could be wrong with it?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Mu-43 mobile app

5. dlhomesolutions

Sep 30, 2013
    Peoria, IL
    I am shooting indoors at iso1600, but when I put the pro lens on the em5ii it's lightning fast. On the em1 a bit slower. Outdoors it was mega quick on both bodies.

6. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    Make sure that the firmware is at the most current and that face detect is not active.

7. dlhomesolutions

Sep 30, 2013
    Peoria, IL
    Face detect not active?

8. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    There is a face and eye detect AF mode. If that is on, AF is significantly slowed. I always have mine turned off.

When you go into the SCP or when selecting a focus point, you'll see the little emoji smiley face looking thing. If that is not set to the off position, then the face/eye detect mode is active.

9. dlhomesolutions

Sep 30, 2013
    Peoria, IL
    OK I thought face detect would help with auto focus.

10. Nawty

Nawty Mu-43 Regular

May 1, 2015
    Don't forget, unless you're in CAF AND High shutter speed PDAF does not activate for m43 lenses.

edit: to add, I have an EM5ii and EM1 and both are very quick in good light (wouldn't want to pick a winner) but the EM1 seems to do a bit better in lower light.

11. dlhomesolutions

Sep 30, 2013
    Peoria, IL
    See, that's the thing. My em5ii seemsb to focus way faster in low light than the em1. I bought the em1 because it should be quicker. But it's not.

12. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    Did you reset the camera when you bought it? What firmware are you using. My 12-40 and em1 is instantaneous.

13. Balinov

Balinov Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 8, 2015
    Dublin
    Balazs
    Hi there, this makes me think if the mk1 em5 would focus faster when face detection would be switched off?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Mu-43 app

14. dlhomesolutions

Sep 30, 2013
    Peoria, IL
    Firmware is 4.1 and yes I reset it.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Mu-43 app

15. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

While the E-M1 has much more reliable and accurate C-AF thanks to it's PDAF, there's no reason that it should focus any faster than the E-M5 Mk2 for S-AF given the same CDAF constraints. If anything, the newer processing engine in the Mk2 could make it slightly better at S-AF using CDAF.

16. dlhomesolutions

Sep 30, 2013
    Peoria, IL
    OK. That's all I needed to hear! Thanks!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Mu-43 app