1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

EM-1 Focusing issue

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Denjes2, Jul 27, 2015.

1. Denjes2

Denjes2 New to Mu-43

Jul 27, 2015
    Dennis Stein
    Hi-
    I bought my EM-1 last year, selling my Canon 7D and lenses. I shoot for a newspaper and I think I've experienced more issues with focusing after the latest firmware update. Is this my imagination? I also recently bought the m.zuiko 40-150 2.8. It seems to hunt more when focusing. Any thoughts? And any suggestions for AF settings for sports?
    Thanks.

2. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    I've shot body building, equestrian events, baseball and softball with the EM1 and 40-150/2.8. While it is no DSLR, I found it perfectly functioning with those sports ad well as many street shooting activities.

Mirrorless AF is different than shooting DSLR when it comes to tracking a subject. The C-AF seems to work better for me than the C-AF + Tracking.
    I've found the firmware update on the EM1 actually made the focusing much better, not only on the 40-150, but on the Oly 75-300 as well.

You might want to give us some more information on your settings that you are currently using and show some sample images of where it is falling down for you. We might be able to give you a better constructed answer to your questions. Thanks!

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Denjes2

Denjes2 New to Mu-43

Jul 27, 2015
    Dennis Stein
    Thanks for the quick reply. I'll play with it some more and see how it goes. Some settings I'm not sure about:1) halfway release with IS, 2) Rls priority, 3) C-AF lock, 4) full-time AF.
    Dennis

4. Denjes2

Denjes2 New to Mu-43

Jul 27, 2015
    Dennis Stein
    One more question. Which mode in C-AF AEL/AFL? I'm using mode 2 now after using mode 1 and seeing if that helped or hindered.

5. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    1) it activate IS as soon as you half press the button (rather than during the exposure only), simply helps to have a steady image, especially with long focal lengths or magnify
    2) Usually should be off. Setting to On means that the picture is taken when the button is full pressed even if focus is not acquired. see here for details: https://goo.gl/aPg66p
    3) Lock should be useful, for example, to avoid that people passing in between the subject for just a moment cause the camera to refocus. See: http://www.pekkapotka.com/journal/2013/9/9/olympus-om-d-e-m1-autofocus.html
    4) see: https://www.mu-43.com/threads/29289/

6. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    I recommend you use S-AF instead of C-AF unless you really need the continuous focus. S-AF is incredibly good, nothing beats it. Try it.

7. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    I like using MF or C-AF with back button focus, I can hold the button down to continuously focus as needed or not focus at all if I desire.

I keep S-AF using default settings so I can hand a camera to someone unaccustomed to my setup and get a picture taken of myself if needed (it comes in handy once in a while).

8. Denjes2

Denjes2 New to Mu-43

Jul 27, 2015
    Dennis Stein
    Thanks for the replies. I'll shoot in the various modes and figure out what works for which type of event. Still getting used t to it and I may have changed some settings without realizing what they would do. And I wish the AEL /AFL button was placed more to the right. I have a hard time reaching it to use for AF like on the Canon 7D.

9. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    You can read about most of the settings, and find a spreadsheet for recording your settings, at biofos.com

Barry

10. Denjes2

Denjes2 New to Mu-43

Jul 27, 2015
    Dennis Stein
    Thanks.