EM-1 C-AF - will it be good?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by shepx13, Sep 9, 2013.

1. shepx13

shepx13 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2012
    Tyler, TX
    Just curious what people's opinions were on the upcoming EM-1 for its tracking under continuous AF? Just purely speculation, of course.
    The EM-5's lack of good tracking is about the only reason I still keep some Nikon gear around, for my kids sports.
    Will it finally be good enough to go away from dslr completely? I sure hope so.
  2. napilopez

napilopez Contributing Editor

Feb 21, 2012
    NYC Area
    Napier Lopez
    It should be quite good, honestly. I don't see why not, if Sony could do it fine with their NEX cameras and worse C-AF algorithms. The Hybrid AF should totally help it at least match low-midrange SLRs. But we'll find out soon.
  3. SkiHound

SkiHound Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2012
    It's certainly one of my questions about the E-M1. If it's competitive with CAF tracking AF and handles standard 43 lenses well it will be hard for me to keep my hands off my credit card.
  4. Dduval

Dduval Mu-43 Regular

Aug 13, 2013
    Orlando, FL
    If the C-AF is competitive with some of the decent dslr's, it will be a game changer for sure.
  5. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Well then get out them cards, and puchase one quickly! Otherwaise you might be waiting a while. Amazon's note -

Note on Availability: Due to high demand we anticipate being unable to fulfill all customer orders with our first allocation. Product supply from Olympus is very limited. Your place in line will be maintained, and we will not charge your credit card until we ship the product.

Buy It Now! LOL
  6. napilopez

napilopez Contributing Editor

Feb 21, 2012
    NYC Area
    Napier Lopez
    To summarize current impressions, I'd say the current consensus is that it focuses at least as well as the E-5 did, and likely better (plus it has a faster burst rate). DPRreview was confused for S-AF with 4/3 lenses and thought it did a decent job with C-AF; competitive with DSLRs but not the best. Their impressions seem very brief, however. Conversely, others were shouting out that it's as good as the best DSLRs.

Ming Thein's impression seemed to be the most balanced, saying it's about one generation behind the current best like the D3/D4, which I would say is not shabby at all. It seems to be, overall, better than the E-5 was, so props to Olympus. He makes a good point that on a DSLR, once the object leaves the PDAF zone, you're out of luck. On the E-M1, if you're using M4/3 lenses, you have the extra advantage of having CDAF as a backup.

It's also worth noting most of these reviewers (particularly the Europe and America based ones) seem to only have had limited time with the cameras and not nearly enough to properly judge C-AF performance. But I'd say that if this is the performance we're getting out of limited time with the camera, before getting used to its quirks and such, we're doing pretty well. At the very least, it seems totally competitive with other cameras in its price bracket, and probably better.
  7. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
  8. DizzyV6P

DizzyV6P Mu-43 Regular

Apr 13, 2012
    It'll be hard for me to convince the wife that I need to pony up another $1500 for this. Even if I sell the E-M5, its still hundreds more to spend money on something with AF that won't be THAT much better.

I've been able to get nice actions shots of white water rafting, go-karts, and other sports using the hi-speed setting and the Panny 45-200.

I'll probably wait for more reviews to see how much "faster" performance it has now.
  9. Lindsay D

Lindsay D Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 2, 2013
    West Sussex, England
    I think it's too early to know. Best to wait until it's been around a few months and there's a good body of user feedback.
  10. klee

klee Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 20, 2013
    Houston, TX
    dpreview's experience was that it tracks well and that if it's out of focus, it's way out of focus rather than a smidge. mildly out of focus shots bother me a lot. but at least you can scale them down to minimize the effect.
  11. Hudsonhites

Hudsonhites Mu-43 Regular

Jul 14, 2011
    I'm in the same boat as you Shepx13 holding onto my Nikon gear for kids sporting events.

I was a Olympus 4/3 shooter with a E-3 and hg glass the C-AF and tracking was a weakness of Olympus. I think this is a result to them not embracing AF back in the film era they've tended to lag behind Nikon and Canon.

Ming Thein said of the EM-1's C-AF performance.

"I spent some time shooting traffic and found that the E-M1 would perform similar to or slightly better than the D200 generation of cameras in terms of tracking ability"

The Nikon D200 is quite a few generations ago in Nikon AF technology so I'm taking a wait and see stance on the EM-1's C-AF performance.
  12. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Opinions don't matter until the camera is in people's hands and they push the camera in uncontrolled conditions...what everyone said about the E-M5 didn't matter until I tried doing birds in flight with it!
  13. gotak

gotak Mu-43 Regular

Nov 28, 2012
    Just watched The Camera Store's youtube review. They say tracking is ok at a distance but seem to lag at closer distance.
  14. shizlefonizle

shizlefonizle Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 21, 2012
    Even midrange DSLRs have difficulties with close range action though
  15. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    In Virginia, if it starts to move we just shoot it and then take a picture.
    • Like Like x 2
  16. gotak

gotak Mu-43 Regular

Nov 28, 2012
    They didn't define how much. My 7D does not have much issue with close range as long as it's paired with a decent USM lens. So that's sort of my feel benchmark and I'd like to know if the E-M1 could come close. So far reading it sounds like maybe no.
  17. Lindsay D

Lindsay D Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 2, 2013
    West Sussex, England
    I think we'll probably find that there's a notable improvement in tracking focus, but we can't expect it to be on par with a modern DSLR.
  18. metalmania

metalmania Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 19, 2012
    Virginia is for lovers. :biggrin:
  19. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada