1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

EM-1 Burst mode with Flash?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by ThomD, Feb 20, 2014.

1. ThomD

ThomD Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Can the EM-1 fire in high and/or low speed burst mode with an hotshoe mounted flash? If so, will it work in HSS/FP mode? thx

2. ThomD

ThomD Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    bump

3. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    An interesting Science Fair Experiment

HYPOTHESIS: The limiting factor would be the flash recycling time.

EXPERIMENT: Use a fast lens, moderate ISO, in a dim, but not dark room so that the flash would only have to provide a puff of light.

EQUIPMENT: E-M1, 25/1.4 lens, Metz 50-AF1

SET UP: E-M1 was set to ISO 800, forced flash on. Aperture f1.4. Shutter speed 1/250 sec.

RESULT: Regardless of camera drive mode, Low or High, or flash setting TTL or TTL HSS, it doesn't fire very fast; maybe once every 1/2 sec.

UPDATE: Set the flash to Manual, 1/128 power. Camera set to A, f1.4, ISO 200. Fires much faster. Checking the file time stamp it can fire at about 4 fps (camera drive mode makes no difference). TTL flash metering slows things up. Tried TTL mode with an E-M5, which has a distinct delay with TTL flash in general, and that fired much slower than the E-M1.

• Like Like x 1
  4. ThomD

ThomD Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Thanks for testing this.

My G6 will not shoot in burst mode if there is a flash used, so that's another plus for the EM1.

I have the 50 AF1 and the 52 AF1 and at 1/128 manually triggering the flash, the 50 won't fire more tan once every second or so, but the 52 will fire at least as fast as I can press the button - maybe 3-5/second. So, maybe the flash is the limiting factor for the EM1 in this test.

5. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I just did a test with the E-M1 @ ISO 200, 14-35mm @ f2 and FL-50R:

- On TTL-auto, it fired around a shot every 1/2 sec.

- On Manual and set to Guide No 4, it fired at 10 fps with correct exposure.

So I'd suggest that you need to test the guide number of the flash setting to get the correct exposure at the lowest setting to give you correct exposure and allow rapid firing, and adjust camera settings accordingly.

• Like Like x 1