1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

EM-1 AF Lock and Confirmation Image questions.

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by graemesmith, Jan 14, 2014.

1. graemesmith

graemesmith New to Mu-43

Jan 14, 2014
    Still playing with the settings on my EM-1 but I can't find a way to set the AF/AEL button to hold the Autofocus. The manual seems to suggest it is possible but it doesn't work for me. What I'm trying to do is use the centre focus area for Focus and Exposure, hold both using the AF/AEL button then recompose the picture. The Exposure lock works fine but it always refocuses when I press the shutter. I can work around this by using the button on the 12-40 lens programed to Stop Autofocus but this is not really a solution when trying to shoot fast action (too many buttons to press). I'm trying to do this as it takes too long to reset the focus area using the direction buttons and programming a button to reset the focus to Home (set to the centre position) is very hit and miss as it only resets about half the time. I shoot mainly in P (RAW) and C-AF although I 've tried many combinations to try and find an AF lock . Firmware level is 1.1.

Also on the fast action side, is there any way to stop the confirmation image appearing in the viewfinder after each shot? I find it distracting to be tracking a subject and then have the viewfinder freeze after each shot, usually meaning I've got to rescan to find my subject.

I'm new to the Olympus way of working so maybe it is just the way I'm trying to do it. Years using Nikon Pro kit has got me a bit set in my ways and I admit I am guilty of trying to get the EM-1 to work as a mini Nikon D800 so any suggestions would be welcome.

2. Yohan Pamudji

Yohan Pamudji Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 21, 2012
    Mississippi, USA
    Menu -> AF/MF -> AEL/AFL. There you can set the behavior of the shutter release and AEL/AFL buttons for single AF, continuous AF, and manual focus separately.

I'm not sure I understand how you want it to work for continuous AF though. You want to lock both AF and AE with a single button? Maybe Nikons can do this, but in my experience Canons don't either. On the E-M1 you should try setting the button config for continuous AF to Mode 3. In this mode basically the AEL/AFL button does AF while the shutter release button does AEL. Your workflow would be:

1. Press both AEL/AFL and half-press shutter release to obtain AF and AEL.
    2. Let go of AEL/AFL button and recompose while keeping shutter release half pressed.
    3. Press shutter release fully to take shot.

Would that work? This is what I do on my Canons--use the back button for AF and the shutter release for AE.

To turn off image review go to Setup Menu (last menu category) -> Rec View -> Off.

Weird that reset focus point to Home isn't consistent for you. I have it assigned to the Fn1 button and haven't seen it fail yet.

3. graemesmith

graemesmith New to Mu-43

Jan 14, 2014
    Thanks for all that.

The Image Review worked a treat. I searched for ages in the manual and couldn't find it myself.

I've been playing with the AF settings all day and I think I finally got close to what I want thanks to some of your advice. I've gone for S-AF and various permutations of AF/AEL settings and I can get it to AF lock by holding the shutter and AEL with the AF/AEL button by using AF set to S-AF+MF and the AEL/AFL set to S2/C2/M3. Would still be nice to set it to AF without having to hold the shutter button though. I wanted to do it in C-AF as that is what I mainly shoot in and didn't want to have to continually switch back and forth but it looks like I'll have to live with it.

With my Nikons I leave them in C-AF and have the AF/AEL button set to lock both the AF and AE at the same time.

I've also set the Fn1 button for the Home focus point but it doesn't always work. I think most of my issues stem from still not being completely happy with the terms Olympus use in their menus but I'm getting there!

4. JimUSNY

JimUSNY Mu-43 Regular

Nov 5, 2013
    Mid Hudson Valley NY
    Jim
    AFhome is a pain in the butt, what happens is if you set AF home to one thing, then set AF points to something else in menu, it depends on what you are set to when you turn off camera, if you are at home point you lose your other setting on power off.. I set my home point to single spots and have to set camera for multi point and switch back and forth, but have to remember to make sure I am in multi point when I shut camera down or I have to set it up again

5. graemesmith

graemesmith New to Mu-43

Jan 14, 2014
    That's exactly what's happening, thanks for that. Now I that I can work round it.