Elinchrom to make its Skyport protocol available to 3rd parties

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by MichaelSewell, Apr 15, 2017.

1. MichaelSewell

MichaelSewell Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Sep 1, 2015
    Burnley, UK
    Michael A. Sewell
    I find this rather interesting, insofar as it could potentially make it far easier to use multiple brands with a single trigger issue.
    The Skyport protocol is already incorporated into the Seikonic Litemeter Pro, and with PhaseOne already incorporating the Profoto protocol within their camera bodies, is there a chance camera manufacturers may take up Elinchrom and do the same?

The End of Flash Cross-Branding Issues: Elinchrom Opens Its Skyport Protocol to Third Parties

The titbit about Elinchrom potentially incorporating TTL and HSS alongside their own HS capabilities is also encouraging.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
  2. ionian

ionian Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

May 20, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Simon
    This is interesting but its uptake by manufacturers will depend on so many commercial decisions, rather than what is good for the photographer.

Are Elinchrom licensing the technology or providing it for free? If licensing, how do they incentivise other manufacturers to take it up?

As the other proprietary trigger systems lock you into a product line, what would make manufacturers change their system to allow their customers to buy products built by other manufacturers?

I would love this to be good news for the photographer, but the cynic in me fears it's just a press release to get some free publicity! I've become so jaded...

• Like Like x 1
  3. Repp

Repp Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Jan 27, 2011
    Oak Harbor, WA
    i hope it works out for them and that TTL, HS, and HSS become comparable and open across all formats. But as @ionian@ionian said, I don't think it will go over as well as they are hoping. My guess is they are aiming to be included with the major camera systems' flash tech... and I just don't see that as something that the super guarded CaNikony company guys would go for. It would also depend on the freq range of their flash system for other companies to become compatible.

• Like Like x 1
  4. MichaelSewell

Sep 1, 2015
    Burnley, UK
    Michael A. Sewell
    Sorry for delayed response........

I agree they may prefer a camera manufacturer to take them on board, but that would only be a part of their plan.
    Having said that, I wrote a blog about the issue of using the E-M1 mkII in Hi Res mode with studio flash, and the widely reported problems. After managing to sort a solution, I have introduced the respective departments at both Elinchrom and Olympus to each other, with the result that the UK Olympus reps are now demonstrating Hi Res mode using Elinchrom triggers.

It would be nice to see the relationship develop further.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Repp

Jan 27, 2011
    Oak Harbor, WA
    I think it's also a wise move for them as a company (though it feels like nothing came of their Phottix partnership?). A lot of the higher end flash companies are being nipped at the heals by by the likes Godox, Orlit, and other chinese companies. It's really hard to look at something with the cost ProFoto and Broncolor (which now uses godox triggers) that won't work with my speedlights when compared to godox's line-up. And the PCB lights have probably lost their market as the "Budget line fro Pros".

6. MichaelSewell

Sep 1, 2015
    Burnley, UK
    Michael A. Sewell
    Oh, I don't know....

Olympus TTL (used for the timing of the HS)
    Skyport HS
    New skyport Plus
    Skyport plus receivers

7. Repp

Jan 27, 2011
    Oak Harbor, WA
    That came from the Phottix/Sekonic partnership? Huh, I had no idea.

8. MichaelSewell

Sep 1, 2015
    Burnley, UK
    Michael A. Sewell
    No reason for you to. Most companies don't detail what's come out of a working relationship, that way both parties benefit, as opposed to one party taking the glory.

9. MichaelSewell

Sep 1, 2015
    Burnley, UK
    Michael A. Sewell
  10. Repp

Jan 27, 2011
    Oak Harbor, WA
    I was expecting more of a combined ecosystem of phottix speedlights/triggers and elinchrom strobes... then phottix went and came out with their own set of strobes. And now that I look at them more, they look a lot like lowend elinchrom... huh

11. MichaelSewell

Sep 1, 2015
    Burnley, UK
    Michael A. Sewell
    I think the partnership is more about sharing information and research. What each company chooses to do with it is likely up to them

12. MichaelSewell

Sep 1, 2015
    Burnley, UK
    Michael A. Sewell
    Phottix have some heads that are IGBT based, which Elinchrom have no wish to pursue as far as I know. Elinchrom's whole eco system is based around voltage control, and they do it extremely well. Colour consistency, flash duration, recycle time etc are traits that used to hound studio lights. Elinchrom's latest incarnations are all excellent in each of those areas, and why I moved across.

13. Repp

Jan 27, 2011
    Oak Harbor, WA
    Wouldn't HyperSync less usable w/ the newer IGBT style flashes? It relies on riding the wave of the flash via timing precision instead of pulsing like hss, correct?

14. MichaelSewell

Sep 1, 2015
    Burnley, UK
    Michael A. Sewell
    Yes, Elinchrom's HS feature is tuned to their own HS heads, and allows a much better and even exposure when exceeding the standard sync speed.
    I've used a lot of other tail sync transmitters with varying degrees of success. Some were actually pretty good, but tended to be a little inconsistent as you changed the shutter speed, making it a little more difficult to predict correct exposure.
    That said, using the HS transmitters in conjunction with the Skyport plus receivers means you can utilise other manufacturers heads. IGBT is really only of use at full power, due to the cutting off of the light output as you turn it down, and therefore shortening the light duration.

• Informative Informative x 1