1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Eliminate Focus Noise with External Mic?

Discussion in 'Filmmaking' started by matthewm, Nov 11, 2014.

1. matthewm

matthewm Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 14, 2009
    Sumter, SC
    Matthew
    Hey guys,
    I have a quick question. When I had my Canon gear, using a Rode Video Mic on my 70D with a non-STM lens still resulted in AF noise rearing its ugly head in the audio. I don't know if it was due to vibration from the USM motors or what, but an external mic in the hotshoe picked up the AF noise.

I'm moving over to m4/3 to go the BMPCC route (eventually) and would like to pick up the GH3 to start along with the 20/1.7 for some on-the-go video stuff in a small package. Anyway... I know that the 20/1.7 has terrible AF noise (shame on Panny for not fixing this in V2), but do any of you that shoot video know if an external mic in the hotshoe will eliminate this sound? Or does it still pick up that little buzzing sound? I'm trying to eliminate having a huge bracket or boom or whatever. I currently have a Rode Video Mic Pro.

I know that I can always do MF, but I like the idea of being able to pull focus using the touch screen.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Most of what I see online says, "Get an external mic to eliminate AF noise," but no-one says whether or not having the mic in the hotshoe eliminates AF noise.

Thanks,
    Matthew

2. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi, I don't know the answer to your question, but have you considered other lenses such as the Oly 17mm f1.8?

Barry

3. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    at my work we often put a Zoom recorder near to the subject and then add that into the mix during edit. Its a peach to sync the audio and bucketloads better than any on camera mic.

4. matthewm

matthewm Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 14, 2009
    Sumter, SC
    Matthew
    I didn't realize the 17 was silent in video!! I have the 17 and 45 already. I did some research and it looks like the 12/17/25/45/75 are all silent during video. Problem solved. Thank you!

5. matthewm

matthewm Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 14, 2009
    Sumter, SC
    Matthew
    I may try one of those if I find the Rode mic isn't sufficient. Thanks!

6. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    Hi
    I suppose now that I read your other post I wonder if you knew of the HD rating on the Panasonic Zooms, these are supposed to focus silently during video...

welcome :)