1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Elephants

Discussion in 'Nature' started by Lawrence A., May 14, 2013.

1. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    Putting this up mostly as a test of the BBC code at ZenFolio, where I've just opened an account. Maybe I'll add several from Patara Elephant Farm in Chiang Mai, Thailand, but here's one anyway.

[​IMG]

2. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Hi! :smile:

3. Lawrence A.

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    Patara Elephant Farm

I don't think I've ever put up my shots of a day at an elephant farm in Thailand from November 2011. I was shooting an E-P2 and E-PM1, and frankly not paying a lot of attention to photographic basics, so here they are, for what they're worth.

Baby elephant:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Swimming with Elephants

[​IMG]

4. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Incredible detail, beautiful! :cool:

5. Lawrence A.

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    Riding into the jungle

[​IMG]

Me on Mae Won Dee
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Lawrence A.

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    A rugged trail back down the mountain

A good bum scratch on a tree (poor tree!)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

One of my favorite shots, despite it's technical failures.
    [​IMG]

7. Lawrence A.

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    It was amazing how sure-footed these huge beasts were on some very tricky and well worn paths. The thrill of being on the back of an elephant taking a steep step down is something I'll never forget. It was an amazing day. We cleaned our elephant (each person had one for the day) first by brushing them off then by bathing them in the river; pictures of the latter were shot by the establishment with a big Canon, but I'll probably post some soon anyway. We each got a basket of bananas to feed them : put the banana in the beasts mouth then get your hand out quick!

8. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Fantastic shots. What s wonderful experience! I'm envious. :smile:

--
    Sent from my phone. Please pardon my brevity!

9. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Such wonderful creatures and it must have been an equally wonderful experience.

10. Lawrence A.

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    Margaret, it was a truly great day.

Gary, they are amazing creatures, and that I never in a millions years expected to get up that close and personal with them (one in particular), made the even more special.

Patara is engaged in a breeding program with a Chiang Mai University, and they care deeply for their elephants. Though criticized by some for letting tourist interact with them, the owners pointed out that it earns money for the ongoing research, and in fact gets the elephants the exercise and grooming they need. Their feet, especially, apparently need the ardent treks, as they are susceptible to foot ailments without proper exercise.

To you know about the Elephant Sanctuary in Tennesee?

11. Danny_SWE

Danny_SWE Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 30, 2013
    Sweden (Gothenburg)
    great photos! and it looks really fun also, I digged the swimming-photos in particular :)

12. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    No, I shall do some Googling after I post.

=G=

13. Lawrence A.

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    Yours truly, swimming with elephant

I couldn't resist putting this up, even though it is not an m4/3 shot. It was taken with a Canon EOS 50D by Pat, of Patara Elephant Farm, our guide, educator, and photographer for the day. Each of us was provided with two DVD's filled with photos and videos of the day, obviously burned straight from the camera for 12 of us in the group.

Some of the most fun I've every had!

14. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Yes! I first learned about it several years ago when I saw a short video of best friends Tarra the elephant and Bella the dog. Sadly, Tarra lost her best friend a little over a year ago. Such a heartwarming story of interspecies compassion and friendship.

Short videos about Tarra and her friend Bella:

Bella and Tarra - YouTube

Tarra and Bella: Elephant loses man's best friend - CBS News

Tarra's biography:
    http://www.elephants.com/tarra/tarraBio.php

I'd really love to visit the sanctuary someday. And Larry, my apologies for hijacking your thread. I've always loved elephants, and Tarra and Bella really touched my heart. :smile:

15. bluzcity

bluzcity Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 17, 2012
    Memphis, TN
    Brent
    Makes me want to be there. Thanks for sharing!

16. Lawrence A.

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    You did not hijack it at all. When I titled it Elephants, I meant anybody's elephants. The sanctuary in Tennessee is sweet, and I quite understand the emotional draw of Tarra and Bella.

17. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    At one of the many colleges I attended, (not by my choice, lol), our mascot was an elephant. As a biology major, I was a member of a team assigned to care for the mascot. The team starting reading all the dissertations on pachyderms we could get our hands on (pre-internet). The paper I read summarized that elephants had good memories.

Elephant---HP-XL.

18. Lawrence A.

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    And big bums!

19. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    What an incredible opportunity and some wonderful shots. Thanks for the added info related to elephants' the exercise and grooming needs.