1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Electronic Silent Shutter and Rolling Shutter Artifacts

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by azjsb, Jan 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. azjsb

azjsb Mu-43 Regular

Sep 19, 2015
    Hoping I can get some knowledgeable feedback. I have been reading about "shutter shock" and how that can be eliminated by using the electronic silent shutter in my E-M1. On the other hand, I read that with fast moving objects being photographed, that there can be blurring due to the way the sensor is read - row by row rather than globally. Any clarifying info is greatly appreciated. Presuming steadily held and a fast enough shutter for the subject, is there any advantage to electronic silent shutter vs having anti-shock set to "0" - other than not hearing the shutter activate? Thanks,

2. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    Type "The Science of Camera Sensors" into YouTube. It's an excellent video by Rode microphones about how different types of sensors work.

3. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    No sound is the main advantage over Antishock, disadvantages are dependent on light/subject however the main one in my experience is banding with artificial light sources. Rolling shutter is always present however has a far less visible impact on most pictures.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.