Electronic shutter vs mechanical shutter, which is harder on camera?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by EricRose, Apr 24, 2016.

1. EricRose

EricRose Mu-43 Regular

Jul 2, 2014
    The upper 12
    Eric Rose
    Well the title pretty much says it all. I have been using my electronic shutter in my GX7 quite a bit but I'm not sure if that is a good thing or not when looking at failure rates. Any informed opinions would be appreciated.
  2. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Hi, Electronic Shutter inflicts no wear; the only downsides are possible horizontal motion distortion, and flicker under certain lighting conditions.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I would not choose the shutter mode based on suspected durability difference. The camera is designed to use either.
    • Agree Agree x 4
  4. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Except maybe time-lapse, where you might be taking thousands of frames.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    I believe that Panasonic automatically uses the E-shutter for time-lapse, but I might be wrong.

That would definitely be the time to be concerned about it, though.
  6. brettmaxwell

brettmaxwell Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2012
    Not my GM1. But I have a C dial setting for timelapse that only uses the e-shutter, which I agree with previous posters is the only time one should really concern themselves with wear on the mechanical shutter.
  7. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    I'm only informed by my anecdotal experience and don't know which is harder on the camera, but on my GX7, I've been using electronic shutter exclusively for more than 2 years. No problems whatsoever. I also use electronic shutter exclusively on my GX8 and Pen-F.

While I can't offer any assurances, I have no concerns with using electronic shutter. I'd say choose confidently between mechanical and electronic, as suits your purposes.