1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Electronic Shutter; Shutter Shock; and Rolling Shutter Artifacts

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by azjsb, Jan 8, 2016.

1. azjsb

azjsb Mu-43 Regular

Sep 19, 2015
    Hoping I can get some knowledgeable feedback. I have been reading about "shutter shock" and how that can be eliminated by using the electronic silent shutter in my E-M1. On the other hand, I read that with fast moving objects being photographed, that there can be blurring due to the way the sensor is read - row by row rather than globally. Any clarifying info is greatly appreciated. Presuming steadily held and a fast enough shutter for the subject, is there any advantage to electronic silent shutter vs having anti-shock set to "0" - other than not hearing the shutter activate? Thanks,

2. I think the problems, both rolling shutter and shutter shock, are over stated. I've never seen any evidence of shutter shock from the mechanical-only shutter on my GH2. You won't get rolling shutter with an electronic shutter unless you subject is moving laterally very quickly. For normal subjects, rolling shutter just does not happen.

That said, I recently switched to a G7, which has a mechanical and electronic shutter. The electronic shutter is so smooth and quiet. I really like it. I expect that will be my usual setting, unless I'm shooting some subject that does move laterally or the mechanical shutter is required - as with a flash.

3. nuclearboy

nuclearboy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2011
    USA
    I have not tried the electronic shutter yet. The "0" second anti-shock fixed the shutter shock issue on my e-p5 and I use it now on my em5ii.
    I see no advantage to electronic shutter in this case since the 0-second feature seems to solve the problem with no obvious drawbacks.

Shutter shock is real but usually occurs at slower shutter speeds with some lenses in some situations but the 0-second setting seems to have cleared it up for me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. m43happy

m43happy Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 18, 2012
  5. ex machina

ex machina Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 3, 2014
    Northern Virgnia
    I often use electronic shutter when I want to be in stealth mode or when I'm using the 14-140, which suffers from shock. I would say that rolling shutter can be a bigger problem than you might expect. For instance I shot a parade over the summer, and while doing so used burst mode. While I'm sure no one would consider a walking parade "fast moving" subject matter, I noticed quite a few rolling shutter effects. Some were obvious, others only noticeable when compared to adjacent shots in the burst.

I guess you could add an e-shutter warning for fast-moving and perpendicular-to-photographer movement. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  6. heli-mech

heli-mech Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    Depending on the camera it takes about 1/30sec to read the sensor top to bottom with electronic shutter. So anything that moves within that time will start to skew in the frame. Its easy to test, turn on electronic shutter and while you are panning your camera take a picture (preferably with something vertical in the picture). You can figure out how fast you can pan before its a issue.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    I wrote this one month ago: Silent shutter for shooting wildlife

The description is for what the E-M1 calls "silent shutter". Then you also have EFCS (electronic first curtain shutter) where only one curtain moves to close the shutter. Should be: open, reset, wait exposure, close. I do not think you have rolling shutter problems here, but a minor shutter shock is still present.

8. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    The E-M1 uses 1/13th readout speed in electronic shutter mode FWIW, anything faster will be fractional readouts of the sensor and past 1/800th of a second it's a single line at a time with the same 1/13th total duration.

• Like Like x 1