1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Electronic shutter in the streets

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by CiaranCReilly, Sep 17, 2013.

1. CiaranCReilly

CiaranCReilly Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 18, 2012
    Dublin
    Ciaran Reilly
    I'm wondering does anyone with experience of using the newer Panasonics for street or documentary photography have any thoughts on the rolling shutter effect in electronic shutter mode? The silence appeals to me, coming from Olympus PEN with it's loud (but pleasing) *CLACK*, but I'm wondering is it something you can set and forget, or is it best suited to static subjects only? I would be shooting some moving subjects, cyclists etc. Thanks!

2. fuSi0n

fuSi0n Mu-43 Regular

Jan 11, 2013
    Bavaria, Germany
    Rolling shutter is only an issue photographing helicopters. However, ver fast driving cyclists (tour de france ;), downhill) may be a problem if u try to freeze the wheels.

• Like Like x 1
  3. CiaranCReilly

Oct 18, 2012
    Dublin
    Ciaran Reilly

Attached Files:

4. dweller

dweller Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 14, 2012
    London, UK
    My hunch is that you will get that effect photographing cyclists I'm afraid.
    I tried the electronic shutter when out with my G5 and 45 - 150.
    The negative effect seems to become more noticeable at a greater focal length.
    I switched it off that day because I wasn't happy with what I was getting.
    I will try it again with a wider angle lens, but not with bicycles, just people in the street.

• Like Like x 1
  5. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    It's a non issue with kids running around, so it shouldn't matter for a street scene.

• Like Like x 1
  6. biomed

biomed Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 22, 2013
    Seattle area
    Mike
    The only time I have a rolling shutter issue was when I was photographing a passing passenger train. I have never had an issue with photographing people. Moving bicyclists would probably be an issue. Just turn off the electronic shutter for moving subjects and flash photography.

Here is a photo of moving children taken with the electronic shutter on.
    9398114042_584291248f_c.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  7. CiaranCReilly

Oct 18, 2012
    Dublin
    Ciaran Reilly
    Thanks, looks like it'll be fine!

8. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    Scott
    Don't know about the Panasonics, but I shot my Nikon 1 V1 almost exclusively with the electronic shutter for over a year and never noticed the effect.

9. CiaranCReilly

Oct 18, 2012
    Dublin
    Ciaran Reilly
    I've read the effect is less on the Nikon 1 because of the smaller sensor, though. Nice system, would be interested in getting one some day.

10. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    I heard from somewhere that the Nikon 1 readout from the sensor is 4 times faster than the Panasonic or Olympus. Readout speed determines 'rolling shutter' effects for electronic shutters.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Have they improved this read out with either the G6 or GX7? I owned the Nikon V1 and that camera was awesome for silent shutter use with no noticeable rolling shutter effects. My only gripe was low light performance and mediocre sensor output. I wonder why Olympus hasn't implemented a silent shutter yet?

12. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    Not from what I have read. G5, G6 and GX7 all share the same readout speed ie 1/10 sec.