1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Electronic EF adapter?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Stregone, Jun 4, 2016.

1. Stregone

Stregone Mu-43 Regular

May 4, 2016
    Manassas, VA, USA
    Are there any cheap electronic EF adapters? Not looking for autofocus just aperture control and exif data. It looks even with no AF they are rather expensive. Expensive enough where I wonder if I should just spend a little more for a metabones AF adapter. And again I feel like I might as well step up to a metabones speedbooster if I am spending that much. Is there any reason NOT to go for a speedbooster version?

2. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    Very much so. If I ever decide to buy the Canon EF 400mm ƒ2.8, I will get both of the metabones (with and without speedbooster). Without the speedbooster I have a 800mm ƒ2.8 and with the speedbooster I have a 600mm ƒ2.0, both very useful for different situations. If they made a weather sealed metabones I would already have one as well as a few Canon weather sealed lenses.

3. Stregone

Stregone Mu-43 Regular

May 4, 2016
    Manassas, VA, USA
    If I was in the market for a 400mm f/2.8 L there would be no reason I wouldn't just buy both :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Wayneb

Wayneb Mu-43 Regular

Jan 2, 2013

Without defining cheap, I don't have any idea what you are looking to spend, I paid $228 for my Kipon AF adapter and it works well with the Canon lenses I have tried.

5. Stregone

Stregone Mu-43 Regular

May 4, 2016
    Manassas, VA, USA
    Cheap would be far enough below an AF adapter that I wouldn't want to just spend a little more and just get an AF adapter. So....i'm thinking sub $100. More than that I think I would spend ~$200 for a kipon.

6. Wayneb

Wayneb Mu-43 Regular

Jan 2, 2013
    I don't know if m43 is popular enough to get a lot of different manufacturers to bring out electronic adapters. I remember when I first got my GH2 and went looking for something that there was an adapter that only controlled aperture, it was more than the Metabones.

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 mobile app

7. Stregone

Stregone Mu-43 Regular

May 4, 2016
    Manassas, VA, USA
    Yeah. I plan on eventually getting a metabones, but was hoping I could get something more basic to tide me over.

8. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    The best thing about metabones is their customer service, they're always really quick to answer email and patch firmware for bug fixes (or supply spare parts if you need them!).
    This is the sort of product which is always in a constant state of evolution, as good as the metabones is it's not a finished and completely polished product and there's always going to be small tweaks to improve performance. I for one was happy to pay the price premium for it.

9. Wayneb

Wayneb Mu-43 Regular

Jan 2, 2013
    While looking for something on Amazon today I saw that Commlite makes an aperture control only electronic adapter, the lowest price was $110. I don't know how well it works.

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 mobile app