1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Electric Shutter

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by riogrande100, Feb 22, 2012.

1. riogrande100

riogrande100 New to Mu-43

Feb 19, 2012
    Does the OM-D have an electric shutter, or is the first curtain electronic like the Nex5n?

I have a G3 and the shutter sound is really annoying, it varies so much from sounding like it took a pic quickly, to sounding like a huge delay even at fast shutter speeds!

I know the 9FPS burst makes the olympus shutter sound fast, but was wondering what the shutter was like?

2. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    It is not a silent shutter, but I think it will be much quieter than the NEX and probably a bit softer than the G3. It looks like the sound of the shutter has been dampened/reduced by the build and weather sealing.

In the following video they have the OM-D side-by-side with the E-P3, both with non-weather-sealed lenses mounted.

Olympus Announces EM5 (OMD): We Fondle at The Phoblographer

You can hear the shutter difference for a single exposure and a bracket. I think there is a decent difference, with the OM-D being a bit softer and maybe a nicer tone?

3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yup, every reviewer I've read who mentioned shutter noise has said that it is quite a bit quieter than the PEN cameras.

4. riogrande100

Feb 19, 2012
    Thanks it does sound better then the Panasonics and their double shutters

5. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    The E-M5 has neither of these things.

It has a standard focal plane shutter. It may be better damped than the other m4/3 bodies (though I've seen no evidence of that), which would make it quieter, but it performs exactly the same sequence of operations.

DH

• Like Like x 2
  6. foto2021

foto2021 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 5, 2011
    SE England

My sentiments exactly. I was doing some street shooting this afternoon and was concerned at the G3's long delay even (or especially) at faster shutter speeds, up to 1/2000 sec.

7. riogrande100

Feb 19, 2012
    The sound of the shutter is the biggest turn off of this great camera! Last week was in hamburg when I was using the kit lens and 42mm f5/6 the shutter was fast and responsive as I would expect the shutter to sound! I then go wide to f3.5 and then the double shutter sound kicks in!

I always feel like I am missing the moment, or may get motion blur when I hear that shutter! I also brought along my Nex5n and whilst the lenses on that system are mostly rubbish the shutter sound is so damn good!

I tested the EPM-1 in a store and the shutter sound was far better then all the on the pana which all seemed to sound like long exposure pics!

8. lowincash

lowincash Mu-43 Regular

Mar 6, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Here's a video of the shutter sound

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PElMZQGigkw"]ã€OLYMPUS】OM-D E-M5 シャッター音(Shutter Sound) - YouTube[/ame]

Sounds softer than the E-P3, I've always thought the G3 and E-P3 had loud shutter sound =/