Electric Shutter

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by riogrande100, Feb 22, 2012.

1. riogrande100

riogrande100 New to Mu-43

Feb 19, 2012
    Does the OM-D have an electric shutter, or is the first curtain electronic like the Nex5n?

I have a G3 and the shutter sound is really annoying, it varies so much from sounding like it took a pic quickly, to sounding like a huge delay even at fast shutter speeds!

I know the 9FPS burst makes the olympus shutter sound fast, but was wondering what the shutter was like?
  2. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    It is not a silent shutter, but I think it will be much quieter than the NEX and probably a bit softer than the G3. It looks like the sound of the shutter has been dampened/reduced by the build and weather sealing.

In the following video they have the OM-D side-by-side with the E-P3, both with non-weather-sealed lenses mounted.

Olympus Announces EM5 (OMD): We Fondle at The Phoblographer

You can hear the shutter difference for a single exposure and a bracket. I think there is a decent difference, with the OM-D being a bit softer and maybe a nicer tone?
  3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yup, every reviewer I've read who mentioned shutter noise has said that it is quite a bit quieter than the PEN cameras.
  4. riogrande100

Feb 19, 2012
    Thanks it does sound better then the Panasonics and their double shutters
  5. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    The E-M5 has neither of these things.

It has a standard focal plane shutter. It may be better damped than the other m4/3 bodies (though I've seen no evidence of that), which would make it quieter, but it performs exactly the same sequence of operations.

• Like Like x 2
  6. foto2021

foto2021 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 5, 2011
    SE England

My sentiments exactly. I was doing some street shooting this afternoon and was concerned at the G3's long delay even (or especially) at faster shutter speeds, up to 1/2000 sec.
  7. riogrande100

Feb 19, 2012
    The sound of the shutter is the biggest turn off of this great camera! Last week was in hamburg when I was using the kit lens and 42mm f5/6 the shutter was fast and responsive as I would expect the shutter to sound! I then go wide to f3.5 and then the double shutter sound kicks in!

I always feel like I am missing the moment, or may get motion blur when I hear that shutter! I also brought along my Nex5n and whilst the lenses on that system are mostly rubbish the shutter sound is so damn good!

I tested the EPM-1 in a store and the shutter sound was far better then all the on the pana which all seemed to sound like long exposure pics!
  8. lowincash

lowincash Mu-43 Regular

Mar 6, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Here's a video of the shutter sound

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PElMZQGigkw"]ã€OLYMPUS】OM-D E-M5 シャッター音(Shutter Sound) - YouTube[/ame]

Sounds softer than the E-P3, I've always thought the G3 and E-P3 had loud shutter sound =/