1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

El Santuario de Chimayo, NM

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by littleMT, Sep 8, 2012.

1. littleMT

littleMT Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 8, 2012
    Lucille Sanchez
    The tiny Adobe Church in Northern New Mexico where thousands of people from all walks of life makes pilgrimages to.

some seeking blessings and some in fulfillment of a vow. Walking is traditional, some pilgrims walk from as far away as Albuquerque, about 90 miles.

Many visitors to the church take a small amount of the "holy dirt", often in hopes of a miraculous cure for themselves or someone who could not make the trip. Formerly, at least, they often ate the dirt. (Likewise pilgrims to the original shrine of Esquipulas eat the supposedly curative clay found there.) Now seekers of cures more commonly rub themselves with the dirt or simply keep it. The Church replaces the dirt in the pocito from the nearby hillsides, sometimes more than once a day, for a total of about 25 or 30 tons a year.

a few shots from the grounds, in the gorgeous foothills of the Sangre De Cristo Mountians:

e-pl1 + pl25mm

chi-1.

chi-2.

chi-4.

Buildings and structures abound with crosses, this one caught my eye
    due to the clouds, I used the 14mm f/2.5 for this one, this gem of a lens
    always captures the clouds in a distinct manner.

chi14-2.

• Like Like x 3
  2. littleMT

littleMT Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 8, 2012
    Lucille Sanchez
    The little Adobe Church. We were unable to photograph inside, which was a downer, as the inside was absolutely beautiful and stunning, those that have been there, know what I am saying...

Entry to the Church

epl1 - pl25mm

chi-6.

chi-3.

chi-5.

Some shots of the little Adobe Church with the 14mm f/2.5

chi14-5.

chi14-1.

• Like Like x 7
  3. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Great series!

4. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    Wonderful set! Beautiful work as always.

5. littleMT

littleMT Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 8, 2012
    Lucille Sanchez
    And the servant of the Church, Father Roca. The tiny 94 year old beloved priest.

Born in 1918 in Mura, Spain, a village near Barcelona, Casimiro Roca recently celebrated the 69th anniversary of his August 15, 1943, ordination.

He has watched the tourists, pilgrims, and those in need of hope, who visit El Santuario each year grow from a small trickle to the tens of thousands who now make it their destination.

the little Priest for the little adobe Church.

And he wasn't shy to be in front of a lens.

e-pl1- pl25mm

speaking in Spanish with my mother.

[​IMG]

chi-10.

chi-11.

here he prays for this woman whom after this was in tears, a very
    touching moment.

chi-12.

• Like Like x 4
  6. littleMT

littleMT Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 8, 2012
    Lucille Sanchez
    Santo Nino de Atocha Chapel.

Many pilgrims place pictures of thier children in need, often leaving the baby Jesus some baby shoes, a magical place this was, and this shot hardly does it justice.

14mm

chi14-3.

Holy Family Barn.

14mm

chi14-4.

a few shots of people capturing memories of this Special place known to all Catholics in New Mexico.. Christmas here is a amazing thing of beauty.

pl25mm

chi-7.

chi-9.

• Like Like x 4
  7. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011
    Awesome- I think the sky in NM is awesome.

• Like Like x 1
  8. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Great shots, #1 and #3 especially were my favorites. Pl 25mm looks to be working well for you :thumbup:

• Like Like x 1
  9. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    A really beautiful set. I appreciate all of the history and info you provided. I love the picture of the mosaic of St. Francis - he's one of my favorite people! :2thumbs:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    Wow! What incredible shots in composition, crop and subject. I've really enjoyed your postings since I became a member. I need to plan a pilgrimage to NM again. I have a number of friends in Albuquerque I haven't seen in ages.

• Like Like x 1