El Cheapo Needs Bag Suggestions

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by dhewie84, Apr 30, 2013.

1. dhewie84

dhewie84 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 23, 2013
    I've got a decent bag for my camera that is fine for most uses, but it only has a somewhat small strap for holding/shoulder, and the bag is a bit large. We're planning a Florida/Disney vacation next year, so I want something as small as possible that can go on my belt. I just want it to carry my G5 w/kit lens and 45-150mm lens. I won't use it very often, so I don't want something expensive. Around $20 or less would be great if such a thing exists. Even better would be something I can get from Adorama since I still have my gc to burn. :2thumbs:
  2. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
  3. owczi

owczi nareteV 34-uM

My El Cheapau suggestion is: 1) get any half decent bag from a thrift store or wherever (not the "vintage" overpriced stuff), as long as it stays in one piece and the strap is sensibly attached. Messenger or whatever. 2) find any padding or inserts that fit it (ebay?) or make your own. A friend of mine has made a bag for himself that way that's easily in the Domke league.
  4. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    Fanny pack will do it.
  5. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Maybe something like this LowePro Photo Runner for $20 (used) from B&H?
  6. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    You mention something small that can go on your belt, which made me think of the Capture Clip system from Peak Designs. It's quite a bit more expensive than your $20 budget, though.

If you went with something like this, you could use a small lens pouch (also mounted to a belt) to carry the extra lens.
  7. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
  8. dhewie84

dhewie84 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 23, 2013
    Thanks for the ideas. I ended up going with the Lowepro Edit 140 that was $6 at Newegg. It's not going to really work on my belt like I hoped (too big, though it would work OK if really needed), but slung over my shoulder should be OK as it's very light. It fits the G5 with 2 kit lenses perfectly inside with more room in the pockets outside for other small items.
  9. Al.

Al. Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2010
    Hull, East Yorkshire, UK
    I got a cheap bag from ebay, less then £20, and was thrilled when someone asked if it was a billingham bag

10. owczi

owczi nareteV 34-uM

Clearly the person asking has never seen a Billingham bag ;) - they are very characteristic (no harm meant - just saying, I don't own one)

Very good find, looks really decent. Metal rings holding the straps - Tiffen / Domke, are you reading this?
  11. Geoff3DMN

Geoff3DMN Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    Castlemaine, Victoria, Australia
    That looks identical to the 'cheap china bag' (as they described it) that Digital Rev durability tested along with a LowePro, a Crumpler and a Domke a while back.

Look at about 2 minutes 42 seconds and pause the youtube video and you'll see what I mean.

Camera Bag Durability Test pt. 1 - YouTube
  12. Halaking

Halaking Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    very nice bag for 20
  13. Jay86

Jay86 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2012

Gotta link where you got this bag from? Looks decent.