El Camino de Santiago anyone?

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by lakemcd, Mar 24, 2015.

1. lakemcd

lakemcd Mu-43 Regular

May 27, 2013
    Montana
    Gary
    There is a high likely hood that I will find myself there this summer. Any thoughts to share on both the travel, photography and gear aspect?

2. alan1972

alan1972 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Malaga, Spain
    Alan Grant
    Do you mean you will be walking the Camino? I ask because advice on gear is likely to depend on whether you are walking, cycling, or visiting places along the Camino by car. Similarly it might be useful to know how much of the Way you intend to cover and if you will be sticking to the best known Camino Francés or one of the several other versions that start in various parts of Spain, France and Portugal and converge in Santiago.

3. lakemcd

lakemcd Mu-43 Regular

May 27, 2013
    Montana
    Gary
    Alan 1972
    My plan is to start at St. Jean and end finish in Santiago(4-5 weeks). I don't have to be back till late August so if you additional suggestions for travel while I'm on the continent. I have the summer to accomplish this as I'm a school teacher in the states. The earliest I can fly out is about June 19th. I am fit so the physical demands are not much of a concern, but I do like to travel light. Planning on walking most of the journey and likely cycling a portion of it (perhaps 3-4 days) for the sake of time and a little variety.

Any advice would be greatly appreciate as I see you live in Spain and sound like you have familiarity. So thanks in advance.

On first blush I thought about bringing my Ricoh GR, EM5 45 & 75.

4. alan1972

alan1972 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Malaga, Spain
    Alan Grant
    I do live in Spain, but in Andalusia in the south of the country. I don't know the north nearly as well, and my travel there has been with children, rather different from the kind of trip you are planning. So while I have some experience of travel in Spain, what I know of the Camino is more from thinking about it as something I might do someday, rather than from direct experience.

The route from St Jean is by far the most popular one, the Camino Francés. A lot of this route falls on the southern (hotter, drier in summer) side of the the mountains of northern Spain. There are some long sections through the flat "meseta" plateau that some people find starkly beautiful but others find tedious. There is a roughly parallel route that sticks much closer to the northern coast, the Camino del Norte. I have been on some short sections of the latter and there is some really wonderful scenery, green mountains sweeping down to beautiful silver beaches. It is also likely to be cooler (and possibly also wetter) at the time you will be there. But I think it is more physically demanding, and as it is less popular, it might be of less interest if you are looking for the social side of the pilgrimage as much as for scenic photo opportunities. Anyway I mention it not because there is anything wrong with the most common route, but because I think not everyone outside Spain is aware that there is more than one "Camino", and the various options offer quite different experiences.

Gear seems reasonable to me, at first I thought maybe 2 cameras is too much for a long hiking trip, but I suppose the Ricoh is no heavier than an extra wide-angle lens so it probably makes sense. I notice that when people ask about European travel on this forum, they are often told to emphasise the wide end more than the long end. Some people feel it is essential to have an ultra wide angle for things like church interiors. Personally I find it hard to "see" in wide angle and I find longer focal lengths very useful when hiking, so I would probably choose a similar range to you, especially if I already had those items which I think is your situation.

That is all that comes to mind for now, let me know if there is anything else I could help with.

5. svenkarma

svenkarma Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 5, 2013
    mark evans
    I've walked a couple of kilometres of the Camino, and spent a couple of nights in a cute and very cheap little pilgrim's hostal in Itero de la Vega (a bit west of Burgos), so here's a photo (from a Ricoh GX200) to whet your appetite!

R0011046-1.
    Whichever way you go it will be hot in midsummer!

If I could only take one lens, it would be the P25, because Spain can look very atmospheric in the darkness.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
    • Like Like x 1