EIF (Eagles in Flight) - Image Heavy

denniscloutier

Mu-43 Veteran
Out playing around with the new EM1-II again. This time with Olympus 300mm f2.8 & 1.4 TC. We have had a hard winter, by our standards, and as a result we have a larger than normal number of Bald Eagles come down to the coast for the winter. I went out looking for flight shots.

_2020779.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

_2020574.jpg

_2020609.jpg

_2020621.jpg

_2020752.jpg

This next one I added just because I was impressed on how well the tracking handled the branches. This bird was skimming along the tops of some trees and occasionally dipping behind the branches. The CAF-TR did a pretty good job of ignoring the branches. I've decided that for moving subjects with fairly low contrast backgrounds the tracking works pretty well. I still have to play with the settings and see if I can get it working better.

_2020469.jpg

This next one isn't a keeper, but I just included it for those who couldn't understand why you would need more than 10 fps. I was using the mechanical shutter and getting probably a little under 10 fps because the lens slows it down a bit. Clearly here I missed the moment. If I had been using the e shutter the faster frame rate might have given me a winner.

_2020581.jpg

Last edited:

denniscloutier

Mu-43 Veteran
Thanks all. The eagles spend most of their time standing around, but there are so many eagles that there are lots of opportunities for flight shots. I was at a park near the local dump and composting facility, which, unfortunately, is a winter food source so there are hundreds of eagles hanging around.

Gerard, summer is the worst time for eagles in Vancouver. There are a few around but we only get large numbers in winter. Probably your best bet for seeing eagles in summer is the Reifel bird sanctuary which is just south of Vancouver. It's a great spot for birding, so even if you get skunked on the eagles you'll likely see some good stuff.

PacNWMike

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I'll be in Vancouver end next summer, maybe then...
Early summer the eagles still have young. Best seen in the Gulf Islands. Late summer and fall they take the youngsters to the rivers for salmon runs. There a several spots near Vancouver where they congregate in large numbers.

Hypilein

Mu-43 All-Pro
I actually prefer the shot with the branches. It gives a tiny bit of context that is missing on the blue sky shots.

Latest threads

Top Bottom