Egypt Kit

Ashenwelt

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Robert
Hey all,

What would you take for lenses on a trip to Egypt. Mainly around Cairo. It's my anniversary trip so I want to be light but I want something thought out. Considering building a bag of primes... but not sure.

Thoughts?

Real Name
Ray
Hey all,

What would you take for lenses on a trip to Egypt. Mainly around Cairo. It's my anniversary trip so I want to be light but I want something thought out. Considering building a bag of primes... but not sure.

Thoughts?
I spent January of this year in Egypt.

I took a 12-40mm 2.8 and Panasonic 7-14mm 4.0 as that is what I owned at the time.

The former covered about 75% of my shots and the latter about 25%.

The wide angle was essential inside tombs and the Egyptian Museum where I was mostly shooting at 7mm.

A polarising filter is handy too for the bright desert conditions.

I didn’t feel the need for a fast prime and I’d not recommend a selection of primes over a zoom or two for this trip. Egypt is major league dusty and I avoided lens changes outdoors.

It’s an amazing country you’ll have a great time!

Attachments

Last edited:

jyc860923

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
贾一川
Never been to Egypt but it doesn't matter where I'm going, I'd bring lenses I know that works for me.

Like what Ray said for dusty situations you may actually benefit from using a 12-40 pro and avoid changing lenses, however if you're a prime person, I know I am, I'd bring, in FF terms, a 35/40/50-ish prime, a 135 and a fisheye, which can bring you impossible results in some situations and can be de-fished if you need, add a telephoto zoom like the 40-150 pro or even the non-pro if you don't require that faster aperture to save weight.

I think a telephoto lens is crucial for any type of travel photography, especially for landmarks. While a wide to standard perspective can give you an overall look of the scene, the easiest way to differentiate your work from a thousand others' of the same subject is simply getting into another perspective, showing the details and abstracted shapes of the pyramids for example, in addition to the "standard" shots that you know everyone will shoot. It might not work every time but it's worth trying.

And I think you'll at least need two bodies.

Real Name
Ray
Here’s a shot with the 7-14mm

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom