1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Effect of temperature on sensor.

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by frankl382, Aug 9, 2012.

1. frankl382

frankl382 New to Mu-43

Jul 21, 2012
    Centurion, South Africa
    I recently took my EPM1 on trip to Dubai and noticed a lot of "excess'' noise on my long exposure photographs, more than what I expected.

The outside temp at the time was 48C.

Anyone having the same problem?

Attached Files:

2. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    have you tried similar exposure times in cooler weather?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Pyro451

Pyro451 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 18, 2012
    Massachusetts, USA
    Steve
    Not surprising. From page 15 in the manual:

# Cautions
    • If the camera is used for extended periods, the temperature of the image pickup
    device will rise and noise and colored fog may appear in images recorded at high ISO
    sensitivities. Choose a lower ISO sensitivity or turn the camera off for a short period.

• Like Like x 1
  4. frankl382

frankl382 New to Mu-43

Jul 21, 2012
    Centurion, South Africa
    Thanks for the feedback, still have to do similar times in cooler weather.

I did read the manual and therefore used lowest ISO, I also turned the camera off between shots.

5. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    High temperature = noise. Always has. That's why astronomical telescopes are nitrogen cooled and CCD camera have time limits, as does the Panasonics.

Gordon

• Like Like x 1
  6. frankl382

frankl382 New to Mu-43

Jul 21, 2012
    Centurion, South Africa
    Thanks Flash !!

7. Pyro451

Pyro451 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 18, 2012
    Massachusetts, USA
    Steve
    At >40C I suspect turning off the camera doesn't matter. At some point the ambient temp is high enough to create noise.

• Like Like x 1
  8. arch stanton

arch stanton Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2012
    London
    Malc
    I've heard astronomy shooters will shoot at higher ISO and multiple shorter exposures, then stack them together. Less time the sensor's on = fewer hot pixels.

I tried exposure stacking a few years back on a canon P&S just using photoshop and it's amazing how well it reduces the iso noise! You can do it in PS just using opacity and lining the shots up manually with arrow keys.

• Like Like x 1
  9. steve16823

steve16823 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 26, 2011
    Brookfield, IL
    It might be worth noting that the specifications in the manual have a maximum operating temperature of 40C. So, I guess at 48C all bets are off!!

I also have to say, 48C must make for some awfully uncomfortable outdoor shooting. Wow. I realize it's "dry" but still that's really god awful hot!

• Like Like x 1
  10. frankl382

frankl382 New to Mu-43

Jul 21, 2012
    Centurion, South Africa
    Well then Ill take my hat of to a gutsy little camera considering I asked it to perform outside the design specifications !!

11. btango05

btango05 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 8, 2012
    Lathrop CA
    Still pretty impressive shots too if I might add. One might think its just dust in the air...it is Dubai after all!

12. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    It works really well. It's called temporal anti-aliasing. Since noise is fairly random, it averages it out. I was doing that on a electron microscope, talk about noisy. Sony does it in body with handheld twilight mode. That's why the night shots look so good.

As for more noise with higher temps, the sensor works better when cool. We had to cool the sensor on our microscope with liquid nitrogen.

• Like Like x 1