Eff You OM-D...is there a fix for the goes-to-sleep-does-not-wake-up glitch??

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by LowriderS10, Sep 22, 2013.

1. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Hi guys,

Okay...this is *REALLY* making me angry. In general, I like my OM-D EM-5, but I've lost countless shots and have been left swearing at my camera one too many times. I have it set so the camera goes to sleep after a minute or two. I do *NOT* have auto power off turned on. Basically, this is the way I've used my DSLRs for nearly a decade...never an issue.

But...with the Oly, quite often (it's happened 3-4 times a *DAY* on busy shooting days) it'll time out and not wake up. I have to turn the camera off, remove the battery, reinstall the battery and turn it back on. I mainly use the 9-18 and I've noticed that if I try to "unlock" the lens *BEFORE* waking the camera up, it's more of an issue, but attempting to wake the camera up before unlocking the lens doesn't fix the problem altogether either. Also, it's done it with my other lenses as well.

HELP!!! Honestly, this is the #1 reason I'm considering ditching the OM-D and getting a GX7.

2. RamblinR

RamblinR Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    Sunshine Coast, Qld Australia
    Maria
    When mine goes to sleep and doesn't wake up I just have to turn it off and then back on and it's fine. Never had to remove the batteries.

• Like Like x 1
  3. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Yeah, I've heard that too, mine usually doesn't work with just the On/Off trick. :(

4. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Sounds like a defective camera. The only occasion where I've seen this happen is with the Panasonic 25/1.4 (seems to be a known issue).

That said, if it really infuriates you, a stopgap would be to simply turn the camera off as soon as you stop shooting.

5. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    uh oh. doesnt sound right. mine have gone to black just a few times. but i also have the sleep thing after a minute or two and it always wake up. though it takes a second or two to wake up so i half press the shutter when i know there's a "shot coming" so when i put it up its already running. sorry to hear that.

6. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    I have an early E-M5 and it would happen with the Panasonic 20/1.7, but never had a problem with the 9-18. A firmware update pretty much fixed the problem. Are you running the latest firmware? You may well have a problem specific to your camera and/or lens.

7. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    *sigh* Thanks...I'm going to check the firmware when I get home, but I *THINK* it's the latest (the camera's only 4 months old!). If it is specific to my camera, I'm equally unhappy, as I'll have to deal with Olympus Korea...and I don't speak the language, and no one at Olympus Korea speaks English (I'm not kidding...I called once about a lens, and was told that no one speaks English haha).

8. wclavey

wclavey Mu-43 Regular

Sep 27, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Westley
    My OMD is less than a year old, has the latest firmware, and does this with both mFT lenses that I have as well as the 4:3 lenses with the adapter. I do not think it has anything to do with the lenses.

I have to remove the grip, then remove the battery and reinsert it before it will power back up. I have reduced the frequency of happening by powering off unless I am shooting continuously, but the last time it happened, it was just a minute or two after it went to sleep on its own.

I sure wish someone would find a fix for it. Even if Olympus would put out an FAQ or support note that said whether it could be corrected by sending it is would be helpful. After all, it just started doing this about 2 months ago. If I send it off to them and they "fix" it, how do I know it won't start again after 6 months?

9. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    This is why I have turned sleep off on all my cameras. After a while switching the camera on as you raise it and off when you're done becomes completely natural.

Gordon

10. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    Never happened to me as, like Gordon, I always switch my camera off when I put the camera down. As soon as I pick up the camera to shoot, I switch it back on. I don't think I have missed any shot this way either, since the start-up time of the camera is pretty quick!

11. MarylandUSA

MarylandUSA Mu-43 Regular

Jul 3, 2013
    Poolesville, Maryland
    Paul Franklin Stregevsky
    On a Panasonic, this happens only if you're using a third-party battery.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Mu-43 mobile app

12. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Interesting. Has anyone tried to correlate the "Rip Van Winkle" problem with the battery type?

13. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Yeah, I know that turning off is an option, but that's like saying "Oh, the radio in this expensive luxury car doesn't work, just hum to yourself." ;)

Nothing to do with battery type, mine does it with both aftermarket and Olympus (multiples of each).

14. wclavey

wclavey Mu-43 Regular

Sep 27, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Westley
    LOL! You are so right... My clients would kill me if I gave them some hokey work-around to a problem in a system I deliver... If that were actually the answer, then I would expect to see it documented in the manual and on the support page:

Sleep Mode: The camera will enter sleep (energy saving) mode if no operations are performed for the selected period. The camera can be reactivated by removing the grip, removing the battery, replacing the battery, replacing the grip and powering up the camera.​

Yes, I, too, agree that it is independent of which type of battery. I have had it happen with the Olympus battery and the Wasabi batteries.

15. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I don't usually leave it on, but on the occasions when I forget I don't think I've noticed this problem, on either my O12-50 or PL25.

16. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    I don't do it because the sleep doesn't work. I do it because when the sleep does work I'm still faster my way. Even when it does work ( it did on my Sony and Canon SLRs when I shot those) I had to remember to mash the shutter anyway, to wake the stupid thing up. For me my way has become so instinctive that I do it with every camera I use and I think I get a better outcome.

Too many times with a camera to my eye that I forgot to wake up. Then again I like manual controlnof my cameras (and cars). So maybe I'm just old fashioned.

Gordon

17. slappy

slappy Mu-43 Regular

Jan 14, 2013
    Guildford, Surrey, UK
    I get this or similar too. I have omd/em5 on a fairly short sleep setting. Not sure if it is just recently, but i expect pressing a button would wake up, but instead I have to switch off and on again. I've not checked whether this always happens or what delay I have set up.

Manufacturer battery and lenses. No grip.

18. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    On my E-M5, turning on/off is enough to wake it from slumber. However, I totally agree that it should be MUCH slicker than this. Resuming from sleep by pressing the shutter would seem like such an obvious thing to do (and what most of the DSLRs do).

19. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Yeah, for me, it's the natural thing...when I grab the camera, my finger's automatically covering the shutter button...give that a quick tap and before the camera is at my eyes, I'm ready to shoot...I used to do a lot of shooting for a living (news, weddings, etc) so I'm used to needing the camera at a moment's notice and a delay costing me the front page shot...

• Like Like x 1
  20. I was fairly sure that my E-M5 was set up to sleep indefinitely and could be woken up at any time by half-pressing the shutter. My GH1 certainly does this, as did my old Canons. I just get the feeling that the E-M5 comes to life quicker if it is turned off when not in use and turned on again with the switch. Without some serious hardware in place I can't see a live view camera being ready to shoot as soon as a camera with an optical viewfinder.