1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

EF to M43 adapter hoped for!

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Leep, Oct 3, 2016.

1. Leep

Leep New to Mu-43

Oct 3, 2016
    I am not familiar with the MFT mount as I use my 500mm with a Canon body...however.
    Wondering if an adapter exists to mount a Canon EF 500mm non is version to an MFT mount.
    I don't need autofocus but manual focussing essential!
    I understand this lens requires power to manual focus so a standard passive mount is not enough.
    Does such an adapter exist?

Thanks.

2. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    I have two adapters that do just that, a Kipon and a Metabones. AF works too, but nothing like the performance you get on a Canon body.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Leep

Leep New to Mu-43

Oct 3, 2016
    Would that be a Metabones Smart adapter or their Speedbooster?
    I am wanting to use the 500mm on a Blackmagic Micro Cinema Camera and the camera can't control AF so manual would be fine. If the aperture can be controlled too that would be a bonus otherwise it will stay at f4.5.

4. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    I own the Metabones and use it with Sigma Art lenses. On an E-M1 the AF is basically at native speeds... a slow lens is a slow lens, a more modern lens is no different than on a Canon body.

That's going to be a very very long lens however both should work, there's speedboosters which reduce further to better account for the increased crop factor.

5. Leep

Leep New to Mu-43

Oct 3, 2016
    Yes sturdy tripod needed!
    Have you heard about the Andoer Adapter that seems to be a smart adapter ?

Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
  6. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Yes, the Smart adapter or the Smart Speed Booster. Not the older one.

7. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    Sorry, forgot about this thread. I have the Smart adapter, not the speedbooster.

I've tested both the Metabones and Kipon adapters on Canon L 24-105/4, 300/4IS and 400/5.6, Sigma 70-200/2.8, 120-300/2.8, 50-500, Tamron 150-600, Tokina 11-16, and performance varies, and it not as straight forward as you might think.

AF didn't work with the Tamron, and poorly with the Tokina. My Sigma 50-500 and 120-300/2.8 is probably over 10 years old, and AF is fine on both.

AF performance on the Canon L lenses however is mixed. Normally, the Canon 400/5.6 is the fastest on my 7D or 1Dm2, but on the Metabones and Kipon, it stutters badly and AF is basically unuseable. On the newer 24-105 and 300/4IS, AF speed is faster, but there's occasionally some hunting, and my 7D, 5Dm2, 1Dsm2 and 1Dm2 are still noticeably faster.

Your EF500/4.5L is a very old design, similar to my EF400/5.6L. I would not expect that lens to have useable AF.

• Useful Useful x 1
  8. Leep

Leep New to Mu-43

Oct 3, 2016
    Thanks kinlau, thats useful info.
    I am only looking to be able to manual focus my Canon Ef 500mm f4.5.
    As you say it is an old design and as such requires power from the camera body, via the mount contacts, to even be able to manually focus.
    This seems generally unchartered territory in the sense that using such an old lens adapted to, as in this case an mft mount, is not common and probably unusual.
    It is a lens that performs superbly even on todays Canon camera bodies, I use it still with a Canon 1D mark IV and its lightness for a 500mm is welcoming not to mention how sharp it is!
    I don't really need it to AF on my Blackmagic Micro, it would be fun to use manually though to film some wildlife.

Thanks again.

9. tamas970

tamas970 Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 18, 2013
    I came across the JINTU Canon EF to m43 adapter, nice price tag & apparently works. Question what does it do if a stabilized lens is attached:hmmm:?

10. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    Both my Kipon and Metabones have received a few firmware updates, so whatever you chose, make sure there's support.

11. tamas970

tamas970 Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 18, 2013
    Good point! How would you compare the Kipon and the Metabones?

BTW is there a decent support site for Kipon?

Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
  12. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    Kipon's site is slow, and very minimal. It easier to use Google to find stuff on their site than to try to navigate their site.