EF-S Lens on m4/3?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by jayjayn, May 12, 2013.

1. jayjayn

jayjayn Mu-43 Rookie

May 9, 2013
    I noticed in the sticky someone was able to mount a canon 17-55 ef-s lens on a m4/3 body, I've been searching and mostly all mounts state only to work with ef lens' and not ef-s lens'.

Anyone have experience with ef-s lens on a m4/3 body and any example photos of the effect the adapters have?
  2. jayjayn

jayjayn Mu-43 Rookie

May 9, 2013
    I have found some adapters that may work, just curious if and how much vignette occurs with the adapter with a ef-s lens
  3. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    With a lens that is designed for a larger sensor that isn't an issue.
  4. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    From what I understand, the issue is that EF-S (and EF) lenses have an electronic diaphragm control so it's impossible to stop-down the lens on an MFT camera. I noticed recently however that Photodiox have introduced adapters with their own diaphragm within the adapter itself so this works-around this problem:

They're not particularly cheap though.

As a previous poster said, since APS-C sensors are larger than MFT, you won't see any vignetting (at least not caused by using it on MFT!).

Personally though, I'd save my pennies for the 12-35.
  5. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    It's not a matter of vignetting. The trouble is with the protruding rear section of the EF-S lenses (check one side by side with a regular EF lens to see what I mean).

That said, I believe EF/EF-S lenses is one of the worst case scenarios for adapting to :43:, as are all lenses lacking an aperture ring. You need an adaptor with special elements to set the aperture manually. OTOH, if used with the forthcoming Metabones adapter (which has electronic coupling for aperture control), some EF lenses will be great for :43:, if you can stand the awfully slow AF or you focus manually. For example, an older 28-70mm f/2.8 lens (excelent optical quality) will become 42-105mm f/2.0.
  6. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    There's an existing 'smart' adapter for micro 4/3 that should you electornic aperture control as well from Redrock Micro for ~$500.

Really though, unless you're shooting video professionally and you already own that lens, I can imagine why you'd bother.
  7. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Yes Dara, I've seen this adapter and I'm sure there are others too. Personally, I don't shoot video. I'm intrigued by the Metabones ability to transform a DSLR lens into a one stop faster and "just" 1,5 longer "almost native" lens. For controlled shooting applications, where you don't care much about focusing speed, this could be quite useful. Provided you have/can obtain the lenses in good condition/price, of course. It's rather economical too. For the example I've given, (used) lens + adapter could go for about $1000, and you certainly can't find a f/2 zoom lens at this pricepoint. Not to mention ability to use more lenses with the same adapter.
  8. Jay86

Jay86 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2012
    I have recently looked into this adapter situation and IMO if I understood my readings correctly... unless your adapting a fully manual lens to M43 or a lens that you will use wide open its really not that great of an option for photographic stills purposes. Video on the other hand where the lenses have an "aperture" or "iris" ring on the lens itself the adapters make for a great solution to use them on M43 bodies as basically nothing changes in terms of using that lens on a M43 body compared to its native body mount camera.

For still purposes your better off just buying a native M43 lens IMO.

Thats just my 2 cents.
  9. RichDesmond

RichDesmond Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 18, 2011
    For some of the slower zooms I don't see that as much of a problem. I typically don't shoot stopped down more than the f4-5.6 range anyway, so if that's where the lens defaults to I haven't lost much.
  10. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

EF-S has the same back focus distance as EF but has some stuff that can extend beyond the limits in EF but still has to not hit the mirrors, etc. Since MFT has no mirror to hit there is even more room. Even some c-mount lenses with protruding elements work on MFT (way less BF distance there).

The protrusions of the EF-S lens can even protrude out of the EF-S to MFT adapter and there still is room to spare.