1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Editing programs for new iMac

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by thomastaesu, May 5, 2013.

1. thomastaesu

thomastaesu Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2012
    ATL, GA
    Thomas
    Hi, I am getting an iMac (i5 quad core, 8GB ram, graphic card with 512MB).

I need suggestions on image editing software as well as video editing one. I do very light PP(mostly jpeg shooter), so can I get by with PS elements, Aperture, or LR without a serious editing software?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanx.

2. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    imovie and iphoto that come with the mac are as good a starting point as any.

If you feel the need for more photo control later, the iPhoto library is readable by Aperture.

for video editing, iMovie gives you all the basics.

I would try these out first and then decide if you need to dive in any deeper

K

3. riverr02

riverr02 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    New York
    Rafael
    Couldn't agree with Kevin more. Good plan.

4. dwrk

dwrk Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2012
    just so you know...

imovie does not import avchd...stick with .mp4, .mov, etc and you should be OK...

5. kevinparis

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    hmm...so how come I just pulled 24P AVCHD footage from a GH2 into iMovie ?

The trick is to use the "import from Camera" option...even if it is a SD card

K

6. cdmicha

cdmicha Mu-43 Regular

Dec 28, 2012
    Arkansas
    Chris
    I use LR and a program called Pixelmator (it's sort of like PS elements, available on app store). I also have a few other programs for very specific needs (geometric correction), but I'd say I use LR for about 99.9% of photos, and Pixelmator for pushing pixels/layers (that last .1%).

Elements and LR are a great combo as well, especially if you don't do a lot of heavy editing.

7. RamblinR

RamblinR Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    Sunshine Coast, Qld Australia
    Maria
    Agree. Lightroom and Elements user here.

8. dwrk

dwrk Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2012
    i must admit its been a while...and you are right!!! it does ingest avchd...

and yes i do know you need to use "import from camera" option...

many thanks i stand corrected.

9. dohearne

dohearne Mu-43 Regular

Apr 23, 2013
    Vermont, Virginia
    Dave Hearne
    Agree with Kevin with an Exception

I agree with Kevin regarding iPhoto and iMovie. I am a Mac user and use a variety of imaging PP software but based upon your description you should start with the software that comes with your Mac. However, I would highly recommend keeping your photos in a file structure outside of iPhoto. IMHO, you should import the photos not using iPhoto and then import them into iPhoto without copying.

10. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    iMac user here as well. I would agree with Kevin but suggest that you spend the $79.00 and pick up Aperture as soon as possible. I have both Aperture and Adobe CS, but I prefer Aperture. Adding an iPad gives you some great options. It is nice being Mac based to have the choice of both Aperture and LR.

11. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    You cam even use iMovie to "archive" avchd. It'll just copy the AVCHD files and folder structure to disk (freeing up your memory card), and you can pull them into iMovie later for editing very easily.

That being said, I still prefer not working with AVCHD.

12. kevinparis

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    while i agree that Aperture is a ridiculous bargain for a pro level application, iPhoto i reckon actually uses the core technologies that exist in Aperture...hence the ability to read Aperture libraries. I just launched iphoto for the first time on this mac, and it read my Aperture library.

All the major adjustment controls.. the ones that cover 90% of even discerning photographers use are there in iPhoto.

K

13. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Upgrading to Aperture is seamless and can be done at anytime ...... It is true, that iPhoto has become really robust. I like using iPhoto and Snapseed on my iPad as well. It is great that my wife can use iPhoto on her iPad and ultimately we have a unified library on the iMac.

14. dwrk

dwrk Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2012

thanks. i thought imovie converts avchd to prores on inport...only fcpx has the option to leaves it as it is when you uncheck one of the boxes...

i'll have to start playing with imovie more to investigate...

15. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    The only reason why I use Lightroom over Aperture is because it's cross-platform. If I ever build a PC again, I wouldn't need to spend too much time to port my library over.

Otherwise Aperture is a steal!

Lightroom or Aperture accompanied by the occasional Pixelmator (or Photoshop Elements) is pretty much all a photographer would need.

I have done some trialing of Pixelmator and Photoshop Elements, for the price of Pixelmator it ranks up very well.

16. sinclair

sinclair Mu-43 Veteran

I currently use iPhoto, The GIMP, and Graphic Converter on my Mac. I'll get Aperture eventually.

17. thomastaesu

thomastaesu Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2012
    ATL, GA
    Thomas
    Cool!
    Pixelmator is on sale for fifteen bucks! I hope my iMac comes before that sale ends.

18. dwrk

dwrk Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2012
    i use picasa which does an ok job on management...it scans for any updates and shows it on screen...the files can be anywhere on the mac and it will find it when it loads

i don't use iphoto...some folks have reported that it slows down when there are lots of photo...you have to imports the files into its own database structure

but the iphoto editing functions are better than picasa

before my mac i use rawtherapee...i'm also testing out darktable...these are FREE NDE alternatives to aperture and lightroom and are available on the mac

other raw conversion programs are rawker and raw photo processor or rpp for short

i also have gimp for more complex editing

for panoramas, stitching or defishing i use hugin

hope these helps...they are all FREE open source softwares which are very good so no harm trying...

19. cprevost

cprevost Mu-43 Regular

Oct 31, 2012
    One Gotcha in moving from iPhoto to Aperture is that photos that were edited in iPhoto aren't directly editable in Aperture without a workaround. Bizarre but true. Any photos that were not edited in iPhoto are not affected. I'm not sure if this is a software bug but it's unreasonable.

20. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    GIMP for Mac is an extremely sophisticated program. And, its FREE! I've not used it, but have seen wonderful Gimp reviews for years. Look closely below for the link. I don't understand why all link I've attempted to insert on the site to night are in the miniscule font below.
    [ame="http://download.cnet.com/GIMP/3000-2192_4-10322178.html"]GIMP for Mac - CNET Download.com[/ame]