1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Editing on 4K monitor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mcasan, Sep 7, 2015.

1. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    Anyone with a 4K monitor when you are doing photo editing, are you running the monitor in full 4K, or running in 2x scaling like Retina/HiDPI, or scaling somewhere in between?

Any problems using LR or other photo editing apps?

2. chrisada

chrisada Mu-43 Regular

Mar 4, 2014
    Thailand
    There used to be some problem on Windows 8.1 where toolbars or some UI elements appeared too small when I use full 4k resolution, and I had to set it to 1080p.

But on Windows 10, I use 4k resolution on my 15" laptop screen and most things look good in LR and Photoshop.

3. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    You have a laptop with a 4K screen? What brand and model?

4. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I am Mac based with a 5K screen and have no problem with editing in full resolution.

5. chrisada

chrisada Mu-43 Regular

Mar 4, 2014
    Thailand
    Mine is a Dell Inspiron 7000 series. They also have the XPS 15, which is the top end model. Both have 4K touchscreen.

6. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    Got my Dell UP2415Q today. Sweet. I am using it so far in full 4k resolution and not scaling. I have not yet calibrated it. May do that tomorrow if I get the chance.

7. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    A related question. I have MBP Retina and am considering a fruit-free 4K monitor for it. (The retina screen has spoiled me and my 1080p Dell Ultrasharp now looks grainy and inadequate to me -- and I'm not convinced that the pricier-than-4K Thunderbolt display at only 2560x1440 is that much of a step up from 1080p).

BUT

.... will a 4K monitor like the Samsung or LG IPS models give me grief running off a MBP Retina?

8. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Looks like my late 2012 MBP Retina is 12 months too old, drat! That spoiled my plan.

10. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    If considering a new Mac, hold off until the Skylake based ones start to arrive likely next spring. Those will not have the more power efficient new processors, the chipsets will be doing Thunderbolt 3 and USB-3.1 over the new USB-C plug. With TB3 you can do 5K over a single cable. If the Macs will continue to have HDMI ports, those would likely be upgraded to 2.0 spec which does 4k @60hz. I think it could be a bit messy next year as everyone starts to migrate from lots of previous types of plugs and cables (FW, USB-B, mini Display Port, HDMI) to the USB-C plug and cables....with some legacy adapters needed.

BTW, I got my Dell UP-2414Q on eBay for $350. New ones sell for north of $600. If you do get at used one, you want one with firmware A01...not A00. That is part of the label that has the serial number and month of manufacture. That label is on the back near the various ports. You can probably still hook up your 2012 Macbook and run it at a lower resolution than 4K. Also you can change the resolution on the fly to fit the app you are using.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2015
    • Informative Informative x 1