Edit, critique, curate

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
My services are available to all members.
I do this on a regular basis for many shooters and artist.
We can do it in the forum or privately.
I'm here if ya need me....
Shooter

Brian Mosley

Administrator Emeritus
I was hoping we could depend on you Don, thanks!

I'll post an intro to this forum tomorrow - but you know the drill... C&C dedicated threads have done well on other forums. Maybe we can do something special here!

Cheers

Brian

BBW

Super Moderator Emeritus
Just checked out your gallery and you've got some very thought provoking shots in there. I commented on one of them that your photos remind me of Lee Friedlander's style, but now I'm thinking Gary Winogrand.:cool: And in case there's any doubt, that's a compliment.

Bob Tullis

New to Mu-43
Greetings Shooter, Brian, & Amin.

I guess Brian's asked me to look around, as in the interest of honing my own chops, discernment, and all that, I've been trying to encouragingly critique at another popular photography site for some time now.

The main focus was landscapes, but I'm trying to break out of that habit and do some other studies. Have just acquired the E-P2 to encourage myself for more diversity, and quite enjoying it.

My background in this field is just having a passion for it. I'll call it like I see it, but I'm no authority by any regard, so as I see it should always be questioned. :)

...Bob

Amin

Mu-43 Legend
My services are available to all members.
I do this on a regular basis for many shooters and artist.
We can do it in the forum or privately.
I'm here if ya need me....
Shooter

Many thanks, Don!

Greetings Shooter, Brian, & Amin.

I guess Brian's asked me to look around, as in the interest of honing my own chops, discernment, and all that, I've been trying to encouragingly critique at another popular photography site for some time now.

Hi Bob, it is wonderful to see you here!

I've got a very good feeling about this forum!

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
Amin,
Something for your admin skills to work on....

Can you set up a way that a member could post images and they be viewed horizontally?
That way an edit or sequencing would be more like in a gallery or book form.
It never happened at ***dpi......
Don

Amin

Mu-43 Legend
Don, can you link me to a page with an arrangement similar to what you mean? I think I understand, but I'm not sure.

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
So I'm in the middle of editing a woman's work. She has many strong images.
She can't see how to group anything but that's ok, that where I help....
But.... She bought these frames that look like, well let's just say there's no accounting for taste. We are in the middle of a grand argument because she can't see how the frame effects the image.....

On the wall, the frame becomes a part of the image. The idea behind the frame and matt, is that it seperates the image from the surroundings.

I know everyone here knows this, why doesn't she?
Anyway, just starting some talk....
Shooter

Amin

Mu-43 Legend
Don, have you tried the attachment method here? It shows the photos against a dark background, decreasing distraction. If you click on the first image, you then can navigate from one to the next against the dark background, which I like better than the way it looks at GetDPI. I'm attaching a few of my old photos as an example. What do you think?

Attachments

• 706654643_rssUF-O-1.jpg
    706654643_rssUF-O-1.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 90
  • 711297086_tEcDP-O.jpg
    711297086_tEcDP-O.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 96
  • 706654674_hX7CU-O-1.jpg
    706654674_hX7CU-O-1.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 85
  • 706654743_XgQ9x-O-1.jpg
    706654743_XgQ9x-O-1.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 90

Djarum

Super Moderator
Real Name
Jason
So I'm in the middle of editing a woman's work. She has many strong images.
She can't see how to group anything but that's ok, that where I help....
But.... She bought these frames that look like, well let's just say there's no accounting for taste. We are in the middle of a grand argument because she can't see how the frame effects the image.....

On the wall, the frame becomes a part of the image. The idea behind the frame and matt, is that it seperates the image from the surroundings.

I know everyone here knows this, why doesn't she?
Anyway, just starting some talk....
Shooter

In my experiences, the matt usually takes away from most of my photos if I print them and hang them. Much of it is because most places, like Michaels or Hobby Lobby, are fairly limited on colors.

Dj

Brian Mosley

Administrator Emeritus
I often wonder whether a frame would add or subtract from my photo postings on line. I see some people do it subtly and it really works well... but I don't know whether it's worth the effort.

Just trying out Amin's suggested attachment method...

Oh, I see... you click on Manage Attachments below the Message editor and select the images. Easy :thumbup:

I'd still prefer to embed the images at 1024 x 768 though - to allow commentary / EXIF info to be added to each in sequence. Unless that's possible along with the attachment upload Amin?

Cheers

Brian

Attachments

• _1082063Studio.jpg
    _1082063Studio.jpg
    199.4 KB · Views: 85
  • _1082124Studio.jpg
    _1082124Studio.jpg
    240.6 KB · Views: 91
  • _1082165Studio.jpg
    _1082165Studio.jpg
    337.5 KB · Views: 79

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
Lots going on.....

Amin,
that could work but how easy is it to move images from one position to another....?

for example.....your set is now 1 2 3 4
can you make it 4 3 1 2

DJ,
...we need to talk about presentation.....I don't think Michael's is the proper place to get frames, matts etc....

Bill,
Brian has a useful crop. This is one of the aesthetic issues that 4/3 brings to the table. Most shooters come from 35mm or 3/2 format. Brian's is close to that.
Your doing nothing wrong, don't worry about that....it's just one needs to pay more attention to the dynamic of the rectangle with 4/3 cameras...there's a completely different dynamic going on....

Don

Amin

Mu-43 Legend
Amin,
that could work but how easy is it to move images from one position to another....?

for example.....your set is now 1 2 3 4
can you make it 4 3 1 2

It's not as easy as I'd like, but not super hard. The attachments are ordered by the sequence in which you attach them, so the easiest way to re-order them is to just make a new post and attach in the new sequence. The other way is to edit the post -> "Go advanced" -> "Manage attachments", and then delete and re-attach in sequence.

There is no software I am aware of that lets one reorder by dragging and dropping, or similarly elegant method.

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
Get to work Amin. After all, you are the Forum Ghawd......
We all depend on you to keep the house in order....

Focus.....Breathe Amin..... it'll come to you.....

Use the force Amin.....

Amin

Mu-43 Legend
smiley-comino-4547035.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Latest threads

Top Bottom