1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Eclipse Questions

Discussion in 'Astrophotography' started by marcr1230, Jun 24, 2019.

1. marcr1230

marcr1230 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 28, 2013
    I've been preparing to photograph an eclipse on July 2.

most of the decisions have been made.

I want to try to take a composite of the stages of the eclipse

people suggest a lot of bracketing of exposures

is there a recommended intervalometer ?

I can use the OMD E-M1's built in time lapse time - but it does not bracket

is there a gadget that I can , so I set the camera to bracket ( 5 exposures) and then the intervalometer takes 5 photos every 10 secs ? ( the full bracket)

I don't think the bracketing works with the in camera time lapse on its own

thanks

2. Brian M Miller

Brian M Miller New to Mu-43

Jun 24, 2019
    I am curious why you want to use bracketing for each interval. Will you be doing stacks of each interval to increase sharpness? Also, why such a short interval?

I did a time lapse of the lunar eclipse last January. I spaced the single shots about thirty seconds apart, and then animated the entire sequence. Came out well.

I would expect that any external intervalometer that works with the E-M1 would work for you, to trigger the bracketing. I had an inexpensive one that I used with my Olympus DSLRs. Since I got the E-M1 mk2, I haven't had need for one.

3. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    Having witnessed my first and only eclipse in 2017, be sure to actually enjoy it and take it in. It's awesome and it will be over in a flash. Try to automate/practice ahead of time, so you can truly take it in. I have no other advice. Good luck! I'm looking forward to 2024 catching the next one in NA.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. archaeopteryx

archaeopteryx Gambian sidling bush Subscribing Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Solar eclipse or lunar eclipse? For solar, this was done with a one minute intervalometer without bracketing and preceeded by a few non-eclipse practice runs in the weeks before to set up the composition, establish the exposure, and verify the compositing process in StarStax and GIMP. Just before totality I switched from M to A with exposure compensation and removed the NDs. Switched back after.

While the resulting composite uses images at three to ten minute intervals, one minute intervals gave compositional flexibility for the sequence. 5-15 second intervals into, through, and out of totality seem desirable and, next time, I'd probably set up a switch between custom settings rather than M to A for the extra flexibility. Since images at totality are usually twilight landscape with a blown corona I'm inclined to view the main purpose of bracketing as obtaining a less blown corona. If you're also planning HDR details during totality those can be downsized and merged into the composite, so I'm not sure bracketing is critical.

Like Brian, I'd expect any external intervalometer to trigger a bracket. I've used both a phone app with cable and an inexpensive dedicated unit without problems.

For solar, totally this. Lunars are more frequent and totality isn't as dramatic, so for lunar the above is probably overkill.

• Like Like x 1
  5. marcr1230

marcr1230 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 28, 2013
    So plans are forming and changing

I decided that taking and managing 2 tripods without more automation is not the best idea - also hard to travel with the extra tripod - so going with one

I’m going to focus on closeups of the eclipse and not a wide time lapse or composite

I discovered a log of great information on how to set up. PhotoPills has an amazingly useful site and app

I’ll be shooting with a 300/f8 and 2x extender on a tripod - set up the E-M1.2
    To bracket varying the shutter speed from a base value - will attempt to do some composited after the fact of totality

I’m using bracketing, ibis off, mechanical shutter, manual focus, manual exposure ( starting point then bracket off that)

I have a 40-150/2.8 on a second body for some wider shots as the sun sets ( eclipse still partial) - also bring the 12-40 for shots of the viewers/crowd

Using white oaks filters - I bought material to make my own but probably won’t because not using the wide lens for composite

Not sure what the exact location will look like - but it’s called “Bella Vista”

What else - packing and travel is stressful- caring gear onto a plane when you are in group 6 - stressful

Deep breaths

6. marcr1230

marcr1230 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 28, 2013
    Tape to hold the manual focus - although I expect to refocus a couple /few times during the partial phases

Warm clothes - it’s winter there, lows are in the 30’s and will be outside all day

7. barry13

barry13 Mu-43.com Editor Subscribing Member

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi, I'd suggest putting the gear in a smaller bag that can fit under the seat, so they cannot force a gate check on it.

8. marcr1230

marcr1230 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 28, 2013
    Yes - I put the cameras and lenses in an REI 60L soft duffel as a carry on bag, clothes and tripod in roller bag, which I checked. They started force-checking roller bags during group 4, so was a great decision.

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.