ECG-2 Finally Shipping

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by AL904, Apr 1, 2015.

1. AL904

AL904 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 29, 2012
    Jacksonville Beach, Florida
    Allen Forrest
    Yesterday, I received an email from B&H Photo that my pre-ordered ECG-2 External Metal Grip for the OM-D E-M5 Mark II was on its way.

2. zensu

zensu Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Aug 8, 2012
    Alabama USA
    Bobby
    Please post some photos of the grip mounted. I'm curious how it works.
    Thanks
    Bobby

3. AL904

AL904 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 29, 2012
    Allen Forrest
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  4. lowlight

lowlight Mu-43 Regular

Jun 3, 2014
    Norway
    David thorpe did a review of the grip on youtube

5. larryis1

larryis1 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 23, 2015
    Southern Nevada, USA
    Larry
    This video is not related th the ECG-2 grip.

6. lowlight

lowlight Mu-43 Regular

Jun 3, 2014
    Norway
    Sorry, i did not realise there where more grips available for the mark2 so soon

7. AL904

AL904 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 29, 2012
    Allen Forrest
    After my long wait and finally receiving my pre-ordered ECG-2 External Metal Grip for the OM-D E-M5 Mark II, I decided to return it.
    I thought I really wanted an Olympus Arca-Swiss-compatible grip. I have changed my mind. I guess my biggest issue with that grip is its interference with the LCD screen. I already disliked the articulating LCD on the Mark II. I prefer the tilting LCD on my EM-5 and EM-1. The ECG-2 makes that LCD even less likeable to me. Another, smaller issue, I had was the screws and Allen wrench that attach the ECG-2 to the camera. Instead of using standard 5/32" screws, the Olympus model uses smaller screws and wrench. Therefore it gives you one more piece of gear to keep track of.

So, I am returning the ECG-2. Instead I will use the Olympus HLD-8G External Grip and the HLD-6 battery grip. I already had the HLD-6 for my EM-5 Mark I. It already has an Arca-Swiss plate attached.

8. Tapper

Tapper Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2013
    I would like a very simple grip attachment like the one for em10. Basically a lightweight, affordable front grip, with very thin bottom plate that has a cutout to the battery door. Just to better balance with the pro lenses.

Hoping a third party makes one.

Regarding the swivel screen... I thought I would love it, but I have mixed feelings. I do really like the options it offers, i.e. low or high portrait orientation. But the plain tilt was faster and less fiddle despite its limitations. I still think Olympus did the right thing to expand the LCD's versatility, but I do understand why some dislike it.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2015
  9. AL904

AL904 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 29, 2012
    Allen Forrest
    Further update:

The Olympus HLD-8G External Grip with the HLD-6 battery grip, and my Arca-Swiss plate makes a nice combination on my EM-5 Mk II. However, I found myself wishing for an L-Plate solution. I had previously tried various methods of getting my EM-1 L-gripped. I ended up with the EM-1 using a Really Right Stuff BOEM1-L Set: L-plate for OM-D E-M1. The problem with that set was always that when I had the L-Plate attached, it interfered with connecting my remote cable. Usually when using my cameras on a tripod, I want to connect the remote cable. The RRS L-Plate set made this very difficult. RRS recommends purchasing their Cable Relief Spacer for $66 to make it easier to attach the cable remote. I bought the RRS Cable Relief Spacer, but was never satisfied with it. I really like the RRS EM-1 Plate for the EM-1. It was the L-Plate attachment and spacer that didn't work well for me.

Well, I have found the perfect (for me) answer to all of my L-Grip issues on my Olympus bodies. That answer came from Acratech. They sell a Universal Camera L-Bracket. With the Acratech universal bracket, I can attach a well-made Arca-Swiss compatible L-Plate to each of my Olympus bodies. That universal L-Plate gives me plenty of room to attach a remote cable to any of my bodies. Each body has to have an Arca-Swiss plate on it (in my case they already did.) The universal L-Plate easily attaches and disconnects from whichever camera I want to use it with. I wish now, that I hadn't purchased the RRS L-Plate part of their set, and that I had not added their spacer. I'll probably sell those items on eBay.

In my opinion, the Acratech Universal L-Bracket is of that firm's usual high quality. I am very happy with my setup.