1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

ECG-2 Finally Shipping

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by AL904, Apr 1, 2015.

1. AL904

AL904 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 29, 2012
    Jacksonville Beach, Florida
    Allen Forrest
    Yesterday, I received an email from B&H Photo that my pre-ordered ECG-2 External Metal Grip for the OM-D E-M5 Mark II was on its way.

2. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    Please post some photos of the grip mounted. I'm curious how it works.
    Thanks
    Bobby

3. AL904

AL904 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 29, 2012
    Allen Forrest
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  4. lowlight

lowlight Mu-43 Regular

Jun 3, 2014
    Norway
    David thorpe did a review of the grip on youtube

5. larryis1

larryis1 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 23, 2015
    Southern Nevada, USA
    Larry
    This video is not related th the ECG-2 grip.

6. lowlight

lowlight Mu-43 Regular

Jun 3, 2014
    Norway
    Sorry, i did not realise there where more grips available for the mark2 so soon

7. AL904

AL904 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 29, 2012
    Allen Forrest
    After my long wait and finally receiving my pre-ordered ECG-2 External Metal Grip for the OM-D E-M5 Mark II, I decided to return it.
    I thought I really wanted an Olympus Arca-Swiss-compatible grip. I have changed my mind. I guess my biggest issue with that grip is its interference with the LCD screen. I already disliked the articulating LCD on the Mark II. I prefer the tilting LCD on my EM-5 and EM-1. The ECG-2 makes that LCD even less likeable to me. Another, smaller issue, I had was the screws and Allen wrench that attach the ECG-2 to the camera. Instead of using standard 5/32" screws, the Olympus model uses smaller screws and wrench. Therefore it gives you one more piece of gear to keep track of.

So, I am returning the ECG-2. Instead I will use the Olympus HLD-8G External Grip and the HLD-6 battery grip. I already had the HLD-6 for my EM-5 Mark I. It already has an Arca-Swiss plate attached.

8. Tapper

Tapper Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2013
    I would like a very simple grip attachment like the one for em10. Basically a lightweight, affordable front grip, with very thin bottom plate that has a cutout to the battery door. Just to better balance with the pro lenses.

Hoping a third party makes one.

Regarding the swivel screen... I thought I would love it, but I have mixed feelings. I do really like the options it offers, i.e. low or high portrait orientation. But the plain tilt was faster and less fiddle despite its limitations. I still think Olympus did the right thing to expand the LCD's versatility, but I do understand why some dislike it.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2015
  9. AL904

AL904 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 29, 2012
    Allen Forrest
    Further update:

The Olympus HLD-8G External Grip with the HLD-6 battery grip, and my Arca-Swiss plate makes a nice combination on my EM-5 Mk II. However, I found myself wishing for an L-Plate solution. I had previously tried various methods of getting my EM-1 L-gripped. I ended up with the EM-1 using a Really Right Stuff BOEM1-L Set: L-plate for OM-D E-M1. The problem with that set was always that when I had the L-Plate attached, it interfered with connecting my remote cable. Usually when using my cameras on a tripod, I want to connect the remote cable. The RRS L-Plate set made this very difficult. RRS recommends purchasing their Cable Relief Spacer for $66 to make it easier to attach the cable remote. I bought the RRS Cable Relief Spacer, but was never satisfied with it. I really like the RRS EM-1 Plate for the EM-1. It was the L-Plate attachment and spacer that didn't work well for me.

Well, I have found the perfect (for me) answer to all of my L-Grip issues on my Olympus bodies. That answer came from Acratech. They sell a Universal Camera L-Bracket. With the Acratech universal bracket, I can attach a well-made Arca-Swiss compatible L-Plate to each of my Olympus bodies. That universal L-Plate gives me plenty of room to attach a remote cable to any of my bodies. Each body has to have an Arca-Swiss plate on it (in my case they already did.) The universal L-Plate easily attaches and disconnects from whichever camera I want to use it with. I wish now, that I hadn't purchased the RRS L-Plate part of their set, and that I had not added their spacer. I'll probably sell those items on eBay.

In my opinion, the Acratech Universal L-Bracket is of that firm's usual high quality. I am very happy with my setup.