ECG-2 any thoughts?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by manju69, Nov 11, 2015.

1. manju69

manju69 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 1, 2011
    Stroud, UK
    Pete
    Hi. Does anyone out there use the ECG-2 grip on their E-M5 mark II? I looked at the fotodiox one but it's not available in the uk and I read some bad reviews here...how does the Olympus grip compare?

Thanks.

2. manju69

manju69 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 1, 2011
    Stroud, UK
    Pete
    any thoughts?

3. ice29

ice29 Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 10, 2012
    Europe
    I have the fotodiox one and I am the one that doesn't like it :) I would buy the ECG-2 only if you need the arca-swiss base for tripod shooting... but also in that case, there is a chinese alternative on ebay that seems to be more or less the same as ECG-2 and it is cheaper...
    I personally haven't found a suitable grip for E-M5 II, nothing that would come close to the ECG-1 for E-M10, that was for me the most comfortable addon grip that I ever held in my hands... So I got used to holding the camera without any additional grip, I find that more comfortable..

I tried:
    - fotodiox grip - all-metal, uncomfortable
    - ecg-2 - too big base, digs into your palm
    - JB Design wood grip - too big base, uncomfortable
    - hld-8g - a joke, that grip is massive, cannot reach buttons on the top of the camera, no comparison at all to E-M1 (which has a perfect grip), cannot change battery etc.

But of course that is my opinion, other might find the grips OK :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. nzdigital

nzdigital Mu-43 Regular

Oct 20, 2010
    New Zealand
    Wayne
    Hi Peter

What are you looking at the grip for? Do you want it for extra battery power, or better ergonomics?

I've always been a vertical grip guy with all my DLSR's and bought the manufacturers grip immediately - no questions.

Thought I would be the same with the EM-5 MkII, but in the end I just couldn't do it. I bought a pancake lens instead ;)

Initially I did find the EM-5 a bit 'too' small - especially coming from a Canon EOS 1 DLSR! But actually, over the last few months of using the EM-5 MkII in its un-gripped configuration, I have to say I've gotten used to using it that way, and I'm not sure I'll ever get a grip for it? Which is a huge change for me.

ice29's experiences outlined above are also very good food for thought....

• Like Like x 1
  5. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    I have the ECG 2 grip on my EM5 ii
    It is very good - extremely sturdy to hold
    Will elaborate when I have more time - just going to work
    Rob

• Like Like x 1
  6. manju69

manju69 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 1, 2011
    Stroud, UK
    Pete
    Yes, better ergonomics, though i don't find it too bad without a grip - and great with smaller lenses. It's with the larger ones (12-40 or 35-100 f2,8) I find myself wanting a little extra hold...