1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

ECG-1 grip Handling vs Portability

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by a_hit_of_meth, Oct 4, 2015.

1. a_hit_of_meth

a_hit_of_meth Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 7, 2012
    I just wanted to get some input on this. I usually prefer portability with m4/3 gear and the E-10 certainly fits that criteria. With the pancake zoom lens I can fit the camera into a small bag made for compacts which is nice and saves space. Adding the grip adds weight and bulk so I'll need to use a larger bag.

How do you guys like the grip on yours, does it balance out the camera well with the lighter lenses, or do you find that you don't need it when used with smaller lenses and primes?

I'll be using it a lot with a big lens, the 14-140mk1 when on holiday, which I've never had issues with on my GF3 or E-m5, and I like how it feels with the E-m10 especially with the more pronounced curve at the front. I don't know if I really need it but if it helps with the comfort and handholding for long periods it might be worth the 50 usd for a used one and near 70usd price for a new one which is how they are priced locally.

2. siftu

siftu Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    siftu
    I only ever used it with my o12-40mm. Always took it off for any of my other lenses. For small primes I personally would never use it.

• Like Like x 1
  3. GnedTheGnome

GnedTheGnome Mu-43 Regular

I use an after-market grip/quick-release plate, and I absolutely love it. But then, when I go out shooting I rarely bother with a bag. I put a couple lenses in my pockets and carry the camera in my hand, with a wrist strap. The grip helps to keep my hand from cramping, and keeps my grip comfortable and secure for hours. YMMV, with different usage.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    I use an ECG-1 with all my lenses; it makes the grip on the camera really solid and I can carry it with any lens in a loose grip without worrying about dropping the camera and lens. I use the ECG-1 with the 7.5, 12-40, 40-150 Pro and the 60 macro. If you don't use the grip, make sure you always use a wrist strap or neck strap to protect against dropping.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Gary_Berg

Gary_Berg Mu-43 Regular

May 27, 2012
    The ECG-1 makes the camera a little taller and gives my little finger a place to rest.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. mnhoj

mnhoj There and back again

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    The ECG-1 really makes it comfortable. I don't mind the added size at all.
    It's an always on for me with any lens.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Krigskoen

Krigskoen Mu-43 Regular

Jun 10, 2015
    I primarily bought my grip to use with the 12-40mm, but now I keep it on even when I'm using the 45mm. It just blends so seamlessly into the camera, that it actually feels weird and "wrong" when you take it off :) Like something is missing. Definitely worth every penny just for the extra comfort it gives your hand.

• Like Like x 1
  8. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I always use it. Feels so good in the hand it's not worth taking off for smaller lenses. It does look bulky when I have the 17mm pancake attached but it's oh-so comfortable to use.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    The grip improves the camera for use with all lenses
    Wholeheartedly recommended
    As another said above one of the great advantages is that you can 'hang' the camera securely on your finger tips for carrying when not in use
    May seem like a minor point but a really worthwhile advantage
    Without doubt adds balance and security when using larger lenses
    The best M43 accessory I've ever bought
    Regards
    Rob

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    I agree with what has been said about convenience and comfort - I only remove the grip for maximum portability with either the Olympus 17mm f/1.8 or the Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 when I put the setup in a jacket or coat pocket. With the Olympus 12-40mm, I find the grip a necessity, with the Olympus 14-150mm II, it really helps stability at the long end (I'm talking about framing here - I.B.I.S. takes care of the rest).

M.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Harvey Melvin Richards

Harvey Melvin Richards Photo Posting Junkie

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
    I have 2 E-M10's, both have grips. I never use them without the grips. I also have stupidly large hands.

12. gnarlydog australia

gnarlydog australia Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    Damiano Visocnik
    not a big fan of bulky cameras and the small M43 really appeal to me.
    I acknowledge some lack of grip on E-M5, E-M10 and E-P5 if a keep the camera in my hand for more than a few minutes.
    Instead of going for a bulky bolt-on grip I decided that I could simply modify the exiting diminutive "bump" and make it just big enough to be comfortable with medium weight lenses (no pro size/weight).
    I used Sugru, a silicone putty that cures to hard rubber like substance:

18216809812_b0f4096225_c.

18220494365_1cd57d4738_c.

[​IMG]

21487090984_59939c520c_c.

• Like Like x 2
  13. adi10times

adi10times Mu-43 Regular

Apr 24, 2010
    Bandung, Indonesia
    Michael Adi P.
    Adding grip makes the handling more comfortable so I always use it.
    I use L plate bracket with grip, it adds only about 1 cm at the bottom and at the grip side if the vertical plate is removed.

16268640750_79b8f5befa_z.

• Like Like x 1
  14. gnarlydog australia

gnarlydog australia Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    Damiano Visocnik
    I like that "L" plate bolt-on grip: I relegate it for an E-M5 that is used with bigger lenses. It works very well with the M.Zuiko 75mm f1.8 where if that lens is on the camera without the grip I end up with a sore hand, after a while, trying to keep the camera+lens in my hand. For trips where the big lenses stay at home I like the portability of the little stuck-on grip tho.
    Since I just about never shoot "portrait" oriented images (vertical) I have removed the end tripod plate.
    Different grips for different lenses since size (or lack of it) really matters to me ;)

15. Janez

Janez Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 12, 2015
    Slovenija
    I used to own Fuji X10 and I had a dedicated small bag for it, which was slightly bigger than the camera. I can squeeze the E-M10 with the Panasonic 20 f/1.7 and an ECG-1 grip inside the same bag. So portability really can’t be the issue here, on the other side handling is substantially improved.

16. PeeBee

PeeBee Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 17, 2012
    UK

I have the same grip on order, not because I want the extra grip that it may offer, but I find a standard Arca Swiss QR plate does not fit the small Oly bodies well. The plate is either too far forwards so that it fouls the casing of a fatter lens, or if I move it back it makes it difficult to flip out the screen. I use a different tripod (smaller) for my EPM1 and had to pack out the QR plate with washers, but I'm not happy with that as a solution for the EM10 with Arca Swiss. Has anyone tried this grip with a Panasonic 45-200 or 100-300? If so, does it offer sufficient clearance?

Last edited: Oct 24, 2015
  17. PeeBee

PeeBee Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 17, 2012
    UK
    ^ Since my grip arrived today, much earlier than expected, I'll answer my own question. It fits great and allows plenty of clearance between the tripod mount and lens body when using the P45-200. I also like the improved ergonomics more than I expected. I'm a lot more confident handling the camera with the grip fitted. Not only does it improve the handling, but it protects the camera sides and base too.

I had a problem with the 9mm BCL on the EM-10 where my fingers would often get caught in the shot. I expected the grip to make this even more of an issue, but it actually places my hand completely out of the frame :eek-31:

Ok, so it adds a little weight and bulk, but the benefits are totally worth it.

PB happy! :dance4:

• Like Like x 2
  18. cptobvious

cptobvious Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 8, 2013
    I use the ECG-1 all the time on my E-M10. The only thing I don't like is taking it off each time to remove the SD card or battery. Really wish Olympus made their version of the Pany G7 (a lite E-M1).

19. a_hit_of_meth

a_hit_of_meth Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 7, 2012
    Thanks for all the input. I haven't had luck finding one on the used market but I'll try to pick one up if I can to see how I like it.

The aftermarket one looks interesting but from what I've read it weighs another 100g over the ecg1 which is a bit too much.

Like I said in my original post, I like the handling of the E-m10 without the grip, my main purpose for adding a one would be to add a bit of stability when carrying the camera on a strap around my shoulder. Also, mine scratches easily, the bottom already has marks from putting on the tripod. Having the grip will keep me having to worry about further scratching my bottom plate putting it down on different surfaces especially when I'm on holiday.

20. RAH

RAH Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 1, 2013
    New Hampshire
    Rich
    I just bought one of these on Amazon. I thought folks might like a link to it in case they want to buy it (this being the internet, after all). It is the "Neewer® Black Metal Quick Release L-Plate Bracket Hand Grip Camera Grip for Olympus OM-D E-M10":

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MNA78OG

I really like it. It fits my E-M10 perfectly, and it functions as both a grip and an L-bracket. You can remove either the grip part or the L-vertical bracket part, so it is nicely flexible, plus you can access the battery/card door easily. Just about perfect, IMHO. I paid $25.80.