1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

EC-20 tele-converter on 4/3 lenses

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by hkpzee, Dec 12, 2011.

1. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    Have anyone used the Oly EC-20 tele-converter on any 4/3 lenses, in particular the Oly 50-200mm SWD, on m4/3 bodies? I'd like to know to following:

- Does it auto-focus with 2 adapters?
    - Does IQ deteriorates with this setup?

Appreciate if someone here could share their experience on this. Thanks!

2. fdifulco

fdifulco Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 28, 2011
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    Frank
  3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Nonesense, I use my EC-14 with Four-Thirds lenses (as well as legacy lenses) on my PEN cameras all the time, and never had a problem with it.

Of course, when they say "not compatible" in those teleconverter compatibility charts, what they really mean is less than optimum performance. When the performance is less than optimum then Olympus bodies will still work but Olympus marks it as "not compatible" on their charts. Panasonic bodies however, will likely turn its function right off so that you don't have to suffer with less-than-optimum performance. :rolleyes:

4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    This question is easy to answer... AF is generally not as good anyways because of the CDAF, then it might get a little worse from the loss of light. AF will still work, but not so well.

*EDIT: Just as a test though, I just put the EC-14 and Zuiko 50-200mm (plus some other Four-Thirds lenses) on a PEN to test it out for you, and the AF is just as fast with the teleconverter as without, from casual observation. There is no noticeable difference that I could tell.

IQ on the other hand, will not be affected at all. As in, it won't be any different than using it on a Four-Thirds body. It will degrade the image slightly over the 50-200mm on its own, but you won't see that except with the EC-20 and even then you would be hard pressed to see a difference. The 50-200mm is quite a high resolving lens, and the higher the lens resolves the less image degradation you'll see from the teleconverter. The EC-14 is so good optically that it pretty much shows no degradation from any lens, but of course it still loses a stop of light.

5. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    Thanks, Ned. I knew you would come through for me!

6. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    No problem. :)

7. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Are you saying it won't work at all on the Panny bodies then? I so wish somebody would make a tele converter for the m43 system. The x2 crop factor is great but having an extra 1.4x would be super!

8. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Are you asking if the IQ is worse with the 50-200/EC-20 on m4/3 than regular 4/3, or if the IQ is worse with the teleconverter than without?

In the first case no, in the second case yes. The 1.4x TC has significantly better image quality when used with the 50-200.

Regarding autofocus, the while it does AF, at least on Olympus bodies, the AF is so slow on the 50-200 (with or without TC) that it's only suitable for stationary subjects.

DH

9. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Naw, I'm just saying that there's always a possibility it won't work on a Panasonic. Where Olympus just marks things "incompatible" on the chart, Panasonic sometimes locks the AF altogether. Although they often will re-instate it with future firmware upgrades. This will also vary from body to body, as newer Panasonic bodies will have greater compatibility with Four-Thirds lenses than older Panasonic bodies. Unfortunately, I don't know how this particular combo will react with any particular Panasonic body. I just know that it works fine on any Olympus, but that doesn't necessarily mean it'll be the same for Panny. ;)

10. speedandstyle

OK thanks. Not that it would bother me any as I go manual focus when doing long tele anyway. Perhaps the newer AF work well on long lenses but they used to suck unless it was the top of the line body and $4000 lens. I just trained myself to always use manual when far away or really close up. AF usually works well in the between and is often useful when shooting events with people but otherwise I focus it myself.

11. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yes, even the best super-tele fast zooms are not particularly fast at AF. I just reach for the manual focus ring as well, and don't see the problem with that. Yet so many on the internet forums tend to call any camera or lens "unusable" without instant autofocus. Well, I've had an awful lot of unusable manual cameras, then. ;)

12. speedandstyle

People have gotten lazy! {even I have gotten lazy! :doh:}

When I started the only electronic thing on my camera was a meter and it was not always accurate{Nikormat}. I had to adjust the aperture and shutter speed and focus. Then I switched to digital and ever increasing amount of automation. They are great tools and handy in many situations but I have found that I have fallen away from the purer form of photography{zen moment?}. Anyway my plan is to get back there in the very near future.

13. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I kept using all-manual cameras with no batteries for anything but the light meter, right up until I switched to a DSLR.