1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

EC-14 w/ 50-200 and e-m5?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by tomas, Jun 7, 2012.

1. tomas

tomas Mu-43 Regular

Anybody have any experience with using the EC-14 teleconverter, the m4/3-4/3 adapter, the 50-200 lens with the new Olympus e-m5 body?

I know the 50-200 works well with the e-m5 (and grip) and adapter if I use the MF focus setting. I'm thinking of getting a bit more distance since the e-m5 works so well with higher ISO's

2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Have you tried it yet with your E-PL2? There's not that much difference - it's still the same lens. :) 

For what it's worth, I've been using this lens combination on all my Olympus PEN cameras since the first E-P1. Works great.

zuiko_50-200mm_swd_web.

3. tomas

tomas Mu-43 Regular

Another ec-14?

I had an ec-14 but I sold it when I sold most of my 4/3 equipment. Since then I've also sold my beloved e-30 and 12-60mm. I kept only the 50-200mm.

I used the 50-200 a bit with an adapter and my e-pl2 but it wasn't very handy on the small m4/3 body. I also needed higher usable ISO's than the e-pl2 has for what I am currently using it for, i.e., birds at a feeder/birdbath under a large maple tree at about 10 meters or less. I also envision using it in low light situations where the subject doesn't change position too much such as concerts, plays, slow moving wildlife, etc. Without a grip for the e-pl2, the 50-200 was difficult to manage. Now with the e-m5 and the grip, it handles beautifully.

So basically what I am trying to find out is whether it's worth my while to acquire another ec-14 or wait until they come out with a m4/3 HG telephoto which reaches to about 300mm in m4/3 terms..

Another related question: did you find much loss of sharpness when using the ec-14 on the 50-200? I didn't use my first ec-14 enough to answer that question for me.

4. fdifulco

fdifulco Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 28, 2011
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    Frank
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.