EC-14 w/ 50-200 and e-m5?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by tomas, Jun 7, 2012.

1. tomas

tomas Mu-43 Regular

Anybody have any experience with using the EC-14 teleconverter, the m4/3-4/3 adapter, the 50-200 lens with the new Olympus e-m5 body?

I know the 50-200 works well with the e-m5 (and grip) and adapter if I use the MF focus setting. I'm thinking of getting a bit more distance since the e-m5 works so well with higher ISO's
  2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Have you tried it yet with your E-PL2? There's not that much difference - it's still the same lens. :)

For what it's worth, I've been using this lens combination on all my Olympus PEN cameras since the first E-P1. Works great.

3. tomas

tomas Mu-43 Regular

Another ec-14?

I had an ec-14 but I sold it when I sold most of my 4/3 equipment. Since then I've also sold my beloved e-30 and 12-60mm. I kept only the 50-200mm.

I used the 50-200 a bit with an adapter and my e-pl2 but it wasn't very handy on the small m4/3 body. I also needed higher usable ISO's than the e-pl2 has for what I am currently using it for, i.e., birds at a feeder/birdbath under a large maple tree at about 10 meters or less. I also envision using it in low light situations where the subject doesn't change position too much such as concerts, plays, slow moving wildlife, etc. Without a grip for the e-pl2, the 50-200 was difficult to manage. Now with the e-m5 and the grip, it handles beautifully.

So basically what I am trying to find out is whether it's worth my while to acquire another ec-14 or wait until they come out with a m4/3 HG telephoto which reaches to about 300mm in m4/3 terms..

Another related question: did you find much loss of sharpness when using the ec-14 on the 50-200? I didn't use my first ec-14 enough to answer that question for me.
  4. fdifulco

fdifulco Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 28, 2011
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    EM 5 with MMF3, EC 1.4 and 50-200 non SWD. have not tried with regular daylight shots with it yet. used manual focus. it will AF but takes a little time.