eBay shenanigans

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Mellow, Aug 30, 2012.

1. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Very odd thing happened this evening. Saw an item listed on eBay: "Panasonic GF5 two lens kit", from a seller in Thailand. Describes the GF5, the kit 14-42mm, and also the 14mm pancake. Described as "used", no further explanation. Has a single image . . . of a Nikon lens. Starting bid of $34, including free shipping.

The guy's got ZERO feedback as a seller, only a few as a buyer.

So I figure what the heck, and put in the minimum bid to see what happens. Lo and behold I actually win the bid. $34! Including shipping! I mean, if it's really a GF5 with two lenses it's got to cost more than $34 to ship it from Thailand to the US.

I look in my inbox and see I've won the item. I pay immediately, like I always do, with PayPal.

Two minutes later I get a "request to cancel" request from the seller, with no reason given. I decline, and I get an automatic reply from eBay saying the case is now "closed".

So . . . what did I just do? If I were a betting man I'm guessing I just threw away $34, which I can eventually recover using eBay's Buyer Protection process. Won't know until darn near October, since the expected arrival of the item is in 4 weeks (must be sending by mule or something).

Or maybe I bought a pile of broken glass and pieces of plastic ("used", remember?!).

Who knows!
  2. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    If it seems to be to good to be true, it normally is. I hope you thebest, but I think you just opened a can of worms.
  3. zapatista

zapatista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    You'll get your money from eBay and the seller will eat the commission.
  4. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Well, you certainly have a sense of adventure - you should get your money back, though. :biggrin: