1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Ebay seller in Korea

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by jeffg53, Sep 18, 2012.

1. jeffg53

jeffg53 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Jeff Grant
    I'm thinking of getting a 12mm and have just been hunting around for prices. The cheapest Ebay site that I found is in Korea where it is about 20% cheaper than the Hong Kong dealers. I always work on the basis of 'too good to be true, probably is' so I thought that I'd ask for any experience.

2. Geoff3DMN

Geoff3DMN Mu-43 Veteran

I bought my 45mm Olympus lens from the Korea seller apple-ct (feedback currently 2236 99.9% positive) without any issues at all, in fact the delivery to Australia was faster than the Hong Kong sellers I'd previously dealt with.

It's hard to be definitive without knowing which particular Korean ebay seller you're talking about though.

3. jeffg53

jeffg53 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Jeff Grant
  4. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    What country are you in ?
    Certainly in the UK you will have to pay import tax which will add to the cost and will raise the price to nearer a local supplier
    This is a legal obligation although sometimes you may 'get away' without paying it
    It depends on the paperwork that is sent by the supplier etc as to whether the requirement for import tax is picked up upon entry into this country
    Also if anything goes wrong with your order or the item gets lost in transit you will have far more of a problem following it up or 'pursuing' it
    Is it worth the risk compared with paying potentially a little more from a company such as Amazon where you can readily and easily return such an expensive item if anything is wrong ? And where you are covered by the Warranty appropriate to your own country. Peace of mind is perhaps better than hindsight of a bad experience and being hundreds of pounds out of pocket ?
    Rob

5. Geoff3DMN

Geoff3DMN Mu-43 Veteran

I would suggest that such an ebay transaction is safest when paid for using paypal combined with a credit card.

Both paypal and the credit card have options to recover your payment if something goes wrong.

Robstar1963 has made a valid point about import costs. It does varies depending upon where you live. In Australian where I live items under $1000 AU don't attract Goods and Services Tax (which that lens is) but it may not be the same where you live.

6. dannat

dannat Mu-43 Regular

May 2, 2010
    Melbourne Australia
    Yes I got mine from Korea, south with no worries, was brand new I doubt ever taken out of packaging, arrived very quickly with FedEx...no complaints (the prices I can get on Oz eBay are cheaper than many are offered here secondhand)
    PayPal only way to pay

7. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    i bought my O45 from a seller in korea everything was perfect and actually the shipping from korea to auckland new zealand was less than 48 hours since i sent the payment!. and the lens was brand new sealed for the price of a "used" one here at mu!. cant complain!.

8. jeffg53

jeffg53 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Jeff Grant
    I'm in Australia so tax is not an issue. For years, and many thousands of dollars, I have been buying only in Australia. However, I've come to the conclusion that my loyalty hasn't been repaid as bricks and mortar places have less to offer.

Besides, the seller in question only accepts PayPal and their protection is excellent. It looks like a no brainer to me.

9. Repp

Repp Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 27, 2011
    Oak Harbor, WA
    I'm currently living in Japan but travel to and from Seoul at least twice a year, due to the yen to won and won to dollar exchange rate, it's always cheeper to buy things new or used when I'm in Korea than in Japan or the US. I even shop for Canon and Nikon gear for my friends because of the deals. There is an entire street in Namdae-moon market that's just for digital cameras, and another area in Chungmu-ro thats probably has the larges collection of old Leica's per square mile in the world. I've never had an issue with something I've bought new or used there.

I'd only worry about warranty services. Not sure if pany/oly for your area would honor a piece of gear bought else where. Others might be able to tell you more.

10. jeffg53

jeffg53 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Jeff Grant
  11. jeffg53

jeffg53 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Jeff Grant
    Since this last post, 5 days ago, I have ordered the lense and now have it in front of me. It has an international warranty card, as promised and looks perfect. I'm a very happy camper, now I wonder if they have the 60.

12. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    It's funny - the scammers usually have lots of good feedback on low ticket items and little to no feedback on anything good. That seller has lots of good feedback selling lenses and cameras and a negative feedback on some argyle socks :biggrin:.

13. jeffg53

jeffg53 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Jeff Grant
    I agree, that's odd. I suspect that their English is not too flash as they didn't answer a message that I sent. OTOH my Korean is crap so I can happily forgive them that. At the end of the day, I have a new lense at a seriously good price, that can't be bad.

14. zapatista

zapatista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    Mike
    I've bought a ton of lenses from these guys without problems. I count 20 or so 16mm f2.8 lenses from them...they ship pretty slowly but dsolutions has been decent and the lenses were new. I wish I would have read all the posts earlier....enjoy your 12mm....I love it.

15. jsusilo

jsusilo Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    I second this seller [dsolution]. Bought P14 few months ago at basement price, lens is new and works well till today. That said, I wont be buying $700+ lenses off eBay, due to uncertainties on return policy in case I'm not happy with it.